Friday, February 23, 2018

Lemon and Raspberry Loaf Cake


I have way too many cookbooks, as I found out when I moved recently.  They weigh a ton, and they have squeezed me a little for space, especially as I decided to get rid of one of my bookshelves prior to the move (which was a good decision - it would not have fitted!).  That doesn't stop me from combing the newspapers for new recipes.

One of my latest finds in the newspaper was Helen Goh's Lemon and Raspberry Loaf Cake.  (I own Sweet, the book she co-wrote with Yotam Ottolenghi, but the newspaper was such an accessible medium).  You can find the recipe online here

What is not to love above this cake - it is fruity, both sweet and sour, is light and fluffy inside and has a lovely crunchy glaze outside.  My glaze looks different to the one in the newspaper photo because I took Helen's tip to pour the glaze on while the cake was fresh out of the oven to give a really crackly top.

If you like lemons or raspberries, or light fluffy cake - oh heck, if you like cake! - then give this cake a try.  You'll love it.

9 comments:

Kayte said...

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I could never be trusted with this cake...I would be cutting a very thin slice and then another and another and another...until, oops, the whole cake would be gone within the week. All by myself. Oh this look wonderfully delicious.

Kayte said...

And, I love that plate! Maybe I could make a tiny one...how much trouble could I be in with just a wee small tiny one?

Johanna GGG said...

I am sure I would love this cake - and today raspberries were cheaper than blueberries which is unusual - I wanted to buy the whole lot!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It sounds like a really lovely cake!

Cakelaw said...

Just a wee one, absolutely.

2paw said...

Oh, I like all those things, it looks so yummy.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Boy, this cake sounds fabulous! The perfect treat to bring to my knitting group!

Kari said...

Lemon and raspberry are such a classic mix for loaf cakes and this one sounds like a winning choice. A good way to christen your new kitchen :-)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i saw this recipe, too, and would love to make this cake. it looks delicious!