Tuesday, July 11, 2017

TWD - Lavender Galettes


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Lavender Galettes.  These are curious cookies that are somewhat like tuiles, and have a similar use ofbeing able to be eaten with icecream. 

These galettes are rolled very thin, so thin that they are each rolled on their own individual piece of baking paper, with jagged edges, and bake up crispy.

I didn't have lavender, so I used crushed candied violets instead - they're floral, they're purple and hence seemed to fit the bill.

I was surprised at how much I liked these cookies.  I made a half batch and ate three (two with icecream), and gifted the rest to friends.

To see what everyone else thought of these, visit the LYL section  of the TWD website.

11 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

These sound good - I always think galettes are pastry so am surprised to hear your description but imagine they are delicious

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh I love tuiles and galettes-I think it's the crunch I'm addicted to! :D

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

"galette" - has SO many meanings (I'm editing my book right now and was just working on a headnote about Galette Bretonnes vs. Galettes/ pies and was pleased I don't have THESE type of galettes in the book to confuse things too!). I am intrigued to try this but not sure where I'm going to find lavender in my little town! Yours look lovely and I like the idea of them with ice cream!

Nicole said...

I am a little hesitant about these because of the lavender. And I would probably need to order it online, so this would be a stretch assignment for me. I am glad you liked them as you made them!

Zosia said...

They're so thin and delicate - very pretty. The candied violet substitution sounds great.

Kari said...

How wonderful. I have made biscuits with lavender once before and was also amazed at how much I liked them. Your violet galettes sound like a fancier version!

Summer said...

Wow! Violet gallettes. They look and sound charming and delicious.

Diane Zwang said...

Glad that you liked them. They seem very different. I haven't located lavender yet either so I will keep your substitute in mind.

Pam said...

Sounds delicious, they're pretty too. Don't think I've ever eaten a food with violets. Have to try it.

2paw said...

The look delicate and delightfully refined. I can't eat lavender, it just tastes too floral perfume to me. And we grow commercial amounts just up the raid at Bridestowe. I a man always afraid tea at the cafe will have lavender in the Earl Grey.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh, violets sound nice! after some of the other more uniformly round cookies we've been doing in the DC book, i like how these are jagged and each one is unique.