Saturday, October 22, 2016

Donna Hay's Sticky Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Rice



Recently, Donna Hay Magazine celebrated its 15th birthday.  I couldn't resist buying the 15th anniversary edition, as it had a gorgeous white meringue covered cake on the cover.

I have tagged a few recipes, but the only one I have made so far is the Sticky Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Rice on p66.  I was intrigued by the meatballs because they contain panko breadcrumbs.

While I am not a huge lover of meatballs, I did like these.  The coconut rice was a lovely side dish to serve them with.

If you would like to make these Asian-inspired meatballs, you will need:

500g chicken mince
2 teaspoons chopped kaffir lime leaves
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon peanut oil (I just used olive oil)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
4 cups cooked long grain rice
6 baby bok choy, halved and blanched
coriander to serve

Put the mince, kaffir lime leaves, breadcrumbs, ginger and half the oyster sauce into a bowl and mix to combine.  Roll tablespoonsful of the mixture into balls.

Heat the oil in a large  frypan, then add the meatballs and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning as necessary, until golden brown.  Add the water and the rest of the soy sauce and cook for a further 2-3minutes or until slightly reduced and sticky.

Stir the coconut milk through the hot rice.  Divide the rice between 4 plates, top with the meatballs and glaze, bok choy and coriander. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

They sounds similar to meatballs that we make at home too. And wow you only eat three meatballs? I don't think I could stop at 3 meatballs :P

2paw said...

I've made her sticky chicken with thighs, she has a theme going!! I use panko in my sausage rolls made with pork mince, and in meatballs. They seem to be better than fresh. Yum, I fancy these for breakfast as it is rainy and cold and they look delicious.