Sunday, October 16, 2016

Cutler & Co, Fitzroy



For my birthday this year, Tim took me to Sunday lunch at Cutler & Co in Fitzroy.  The set Sunday lunch menu ($75) is meant for sharing, and it changes weekly.

Our seats were at the bar, which was perfect, because we could watch the kitchen team prepare the food.  It was pretty intricate labour in some cases, and it was amazing how fast they whipped up the dishes:


We started off our meal with a slightly bitter blood orange cocktail, which was devine:



For the appetisers, we started with prosciutto and pickle on rye crackers, and prawn crackers:


The other appetiser was radishes with fromage blanc, parmesan crackers and smoked fish roe:



Next  came some beautiful bread that we spread with some of the fromage blanc:


Our next dish was grilled asparagus with stracciatella and watercress:


This was followed by sea bream with ginger soy dressing and kohlrabi - the dressing was just devine, though when I tried to source the ginger vinegar that the chef told us was in the dressing, I balked at the $40 price tag:


The next dish was roasted celeriac with pickled shitaki:


followed by smoked duck with zucchini and preserved lemon:


For our main course, we decided to share the roast lamb:


which came with this side salad:


Our final course was dessert.  Tim chose the Earl Grey chocolate mousse with mandarin and yuzu curd:


while I went for the buttermilk panna cotta, rhubarb and plum blossom icecream:


I loved my dessert - the flavours and textures went together very well.

To finish off the meal, we received coffee and chocolates:



Here we are looking happy at Cutler & Co:


The service at Cutler & Co was very good - the staff were attentive, and the dishes moved quickly.  Because we were seated near the kitchen, some of the chefs even took the time to talk to us about the dishes.

I really enjoyed my experience at Cutler & Co, and would visit again.

55–57 Gertrude St
Fitzroy VIC
Ph: 03 9419 4888

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

The food there is so delicious! And the ginger vinegar has me intrigued too. I have never made vinegar but I want to give it a go :)

Kari said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday meal and the dishes look beautifully prepared. Both of your desserts sound especially fantastic!

Diane Zwang said...

Happy Birthday. Looks like a delicious meal. My husband just got back from Australia. He had a good trip. I hope to go next time.

2paw said...

Happy birthday and what a wonderful looking feast. I would baulk at $40 too!! Thank you for the lovely pictures you shared.