Tuesday, June 28, 2016

TWD - Rice Pudding, Strawberries, and Spiced Hibiscus Syrup



This week's Tuesday with Dorie alternate recipe is Rice Pudding, Strawberries, and Spiced Hibiscus Syrup.  I do love rice pudding, so I was very happy to make this.  However, I only made a half recipe because I didn't want to make my rice pudding into a roly poly (me).

The rice pudding is made with a very small amount of arborio rice, which is pre-cooked then plumped up with lots of milk.  I used skim milk because that is the only milk that I use, and it worked fine.  The pudding is topped with chopped strawberries (no magic there), and a spiced syrup which is meant to be flavoured with hibiscus tea.  The spices are black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and orange. I couldn't find pure hibiscus tea, so I used a passionfruit tea that claimed to have "a twist of hibiscus".  In reality, it just tasted like passionfruit, but that suited me fine.

I really enjoyed this pudding.  The serves are quite small, but when you consider that one serve contains a whole cup of milk, that is adequate.

To see what the other Dorie bakers made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

14 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

It looks beautiful!! Bill, of course, does not like rice pudding, so I'd have to make a small batch, too :)

Mardi Michels said...

Neither of us like rice pudding but I made it anyway (just 1/3 of the recipe). I did like the syrup though!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love rice pudding. It's so comforting and gorgeous to eat! :D

Nicole said...

Nice job! I love rice pudding, personally, and the syrup was differently enjoyable.

flour.ish.en said...

Good to know skim milk works fine for this recipe. There is lot of milk in there. Making it low fat is very appealing.

2paw said...

I love rice pudding, creamed rice, I like rice a lot. I think there will be sticky black rice pudding next week at our Knitting lunch. Your pudding looks so pretty and really light as well. Yum!!

Kari said...

This looks like a summery twist on rice pudding - really different to how I've seen rice pudding dishes in the past.

Pam said...

I've lost count of all the strawberry recipes I've seen in the last couple of days and this one definitely stands out! It looks delicious with that great syrup and would disappear quickly here. Great recipe to try!

Zosia said...

Passionfruit would go beautifully with the strawberries and pudding. I made it with 1% milk and was surprised at how creamy it was.

Diane Zwang said...

I have yet to make this one but will get to it soon. My husband loves rice pudding. Glad you liked it.

Approaching Food said...

Small batch is the best batch! And I love your passionfruit tea substitution!

Johanna GGG said...

sounds very fancy and an excellent way to serve rice pudding - all the spices sounds lovely

Karen @ From Scratch said...

Looks like it worked just fine with the passionfruit tea. Really, one could make any tea-infused syrup with this technique. I am glad to hear it works with skim milk. We always have that on hand, so now I can make rice pudding on a whim!

Teresa said...

I bet the passionfruit syrup was wonderful! And I often use less-than-full-fat milk in recipes - even with custard, things usually turn out.