Friday, January 29, 2016

Tomato Chicken Curry





I am always on the lookout for interesting new recipes for dinner, and I found one in the January/February 2016 edition of Taste magazine - for a Tomato and Tamarind Chicken Curry.  I do love a good curry, so this recipe was a winner for me.

I didn't have any tamarind and was not prepared to pay $5 for a jar of which I'd use 2 tablespoons, so after some Internet searching, I used two dried figs and a tablespoon of vinegar instead.

The curry tasted great - I really enjoyed this curry served with boiled brown rice and blanched broccolini.


To make this curry according to the original recipe, you will need:

2 tablespoons ghee (I used olive oil)
1 chopped brown onion
4 quartered roma tomatoes
5 peeled garlic cloves
1 chopped red chilli
3cm piece of peeled grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons tamarind puree
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds (I used ground cumin)
16 fresh curry leaves
1kg chicken thigh fillets, quartered
125ml water

Heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee or oil in a large shallow casserole dish, add the onion, tomato, garlic and chilli, season and cook for 10 minutes or until caramelised.  Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and add ginger, tamarind, curry power and sugar.  Process until smooth.

 Heat the remaining ghee or oil in the casserole dish.  Add cumin and curry leaves and cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.  Add the blended tomato mixture and cook for 4 minutes then add the chicken.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Add the water, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.  Season and serve.

3 comments:

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, your Tomato and Tamarind Chicken Curry looks like an utterly delicious choice for dinner and your substitution for the tamarind paste using figs and vinegar certainly has me intrigued!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What an interesting substitute for tamarind! We tend to cook with it with some regularity so we have it but that's a great save if you don't.

Kayte said...

Tomato chicken curry sounds marvelous with or without the tamarind. I have never use it or tasted it so I think that might be a fun way to introduce myself to that and hope we like it because the price of it seems like something I shouldn't let go to waste if we don't!