Sunday, January 31, 2016

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies


I received some pretzels in a hamper for Christmas.  While I don't hate pretzels, they are not something I turn to if I have the munchies.

Not wanting to waste the pretzels, I decided to make cookies with pretzels in.  The Momofuku Milk Bar Compost Cookies had too many steps for me on a week night, so I instead searched for a simpler recipe, and landed on this one for Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies.  I got 16 cookies rather than 10 using a small icecream scoop as the size guide.



These cookies were delicious - salty and sweet, with soft cookie dough embracing crunchy pretzel pieces.  They were a definite winner for me.

7 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

well we never have problems chomping through pretzels but I am sure these would go down well in my place

Kari said...

I don't love pretzels plain either, so think putting them in cookies is a brilliant idea!

The Caked Crusader said...

I do love a bit of salty crunch in a biccie - I'm like you; I wouldn't ever choose pretzels but quite like them used like this

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Sounds like a real winner and I love that sweet and salty balance so much! :D

~~louise~~ said...

Lol, guess what I'm munching on as I type this...yep, pretzel rods!

They never were a favorite of mine either, Gaye. However, I found a brand that is virtually cholesterol free so I munch and dunk in hummus!!!

The thought of Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies sounds oh so much better than boring pretzel rods, at the moment anyway, lol...

Thanks so much for sharing, Gaye...If by chance you should find yourself with a bunch of pretzels and nothing to do with them, you might try throwing them in the food processor and smashing them up. They make a great coating on chicken or fish!!!

2paw said...

I am always intrigued by the way people, especially the Americans, use pretzels in their sweet baking. I could give this a go on your recommendation!!

Kayte said...

Love the pretzel cookies...I cannot tell you how many times I have bought pretzels for a recipe and ended up with no pretzels as we eat them all before I make the recipe, we are huge pretzel fans here...lol. These cookies are getting bookmarked and I need to remind myself to make them the day of the pretzel purchase or hide the pretzels so I have them for the recipe!