Saturday, April 19, 2014

Taxi Kitchen, Hofbrauhaus and Hopetoun Tea Rooms


Recently, I had a weekend of fancy eating, with food so good I have to share.  It started at Friday lunch, with a legal team catchup at Taxi Kitchen in Federation Square, Melbourne. We had the lunch special, being $39 for two courses and a glass of wine.

With my pinot noir, I ordered the seared salmon with  warm sea lettuce and zucchini salad with black garlic dressing:


I had no idea what sea lettuce was, but the meal itself was delicious.  I'd definitely order this again.

For my second course, of course I chose dessert.  I ordered lemon meringue pie (frozen like Nan's) (normally $13):


This dessert was visually gorgeous, and the taste did not disappoint - like lemon sorbet atop a biscuit with meringue on top.  I think the pink crumbs were freeze-dried raspberries.

Verdict - not cheap, but delicious.

The same night, I went to Hofbrauhaus Melbourne in Market Lane with Tim:


Tim and I ordered a Zwicklbier (pale ale ($8.50 for 300ml):


This is a light, pleasant brew that goes down easily.

For main, Tim ordered the HB Wurstplatte ($29.50), comprising bratwurst, kaiserkrainer (cheese filled kransky) and nurnberger (mini Bavarian sausages):


while I ordered the bratwurst ($26.50):


Both meals were served with mustard, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.  I had a two for one voucher, so our meals were half price.

For dessert, we shared a serve of apfelstrudel ($13.50):


This is a light, fruity dessert with a crispy pastry shell.  It was served with icecream and custard, and was a lovely way to finish the meal.

Verdict -  hearty fare, perfect for winter.

Finally, on Saturday, I went to lunch with Sandra at our usual haunt, the Hopetoun Tea Rooms in the Block Arcade.  I ordered the daily special of seafood ravioli ($23):


The ravioli was light and delicate, and served in a lemony sauce.

For desert, I opted for the pistachio and raspberry cheesecake ($10.50):


I had spied this dessert in the window before going in, and had to have it:


I washed it all down with one of the many house teas.

As always, it was a delicious experience in lovely, old fashioned surrounds.  Just be prepared to queue for around 15 minutes to get in. 

If you come to Melbourne and want to try any of the venues, here are their details:

Taxi Kitchen
Level 1 Transport Hotel
Federation Square,
Cnr Swanston & Flinders Streets
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: (03) 9654 8808  
 
Hofbrauhaus Melbourne
18- 28 Market Lane 
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: (03) 9663 3361
 
Hopetoun Tea Rooms
Block Arcade
282 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Ph: (03) 9650 2777



7 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I always think I will go to hopetoun tea rooms but the queues and the lack of space inside often make me think twice but it is too long since I last went.

Sounds like you had a great weekend - was the lemon meringue pie a bit like bombe alaska - it looks very impressive

Kari said...

It looks like you've had a run of great meals! I particularly like the look of your desserts - and the presentation of that lemon meringue pie.

~~louise~~ said...

It sure sounds like you had some fabulous weekend meals. I'm especially enamoured by that Salmon and of course the desserts:) Thanks for sharing, Cakelaw...

Cakelaw said...

Yes, just like a bombe alaska.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a lovely few meals you had! I didn't realise that the Hopetoun did meals too!

The Caked Crusader said...

Ooh - that pistachio cheesecake is calling to me!

Kayte said...

You always order the best food! Thanks for sharing the photos, it is such fun to see all the treats you choose and Tim's as well! Good times.