Friday, April 11, 2014

FFWD - Quiche Maraichère



This week, our French Fridays with Dorie assignment was Quiche Maraichère - literally a "market fresh" quiche.  This quiche is unusual in that it is mostly vegetables with only minimal custard, and the cheese is on top rather than through the quiche.

The vegetables were leeks, carrots, capsicum and celery, and were finely diced then pan cooked before being placed in a par-baked tart shell and covered with a custard of eggs and cream.  Close to the end of baking, the quiche is topped with grated cheddar cheese. 


I didn't expect much of this quiche, and before the cheese was added, I thought it looked a little scary.  However, once the cheese had melted over the top of the vegetables, which fill the tart shell,  the quiche looks amazing, and serves as a flavoursome dinner:



This was another surprise hit for me.  To see what the other Doristas thought of this quiche, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

19 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Definitely a surprise hit for me as well ;)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

A hit here, too! Your crust looks terrific!!!

Mary Hirsch said...

So happy that it went from looking scary to tasting amazing, Gaye. This lasted several days at my house and I never tired of it. Another winner from Ms. Greenspan, huh?

Diane Balch said...

You sound just like me... I was really concerned about the taste of this quiche... celery worries and I really loved it too.

Unknown said...

It IS surprisingly good, isn't it? Its one of my favorite recipes to date!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I wished I had made two.

Diane Zwang said...

Glad you enjoyed the quiche. It is nice when something turns out well.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I wouldn't mind this quiche for dinner, it looks lovely :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Christy said...

I really loved this too! It was dinner, and two lunches which made it even better!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks really good! I love lots of cheese I must admit :D

Unknown said...

It look scary didn't it? All these vegetables and the celery? But in the I liked it very very much! I will make it again for sure. I am happy you enjoyed also!

Kathy said...

When I read this recipe through, I wasn’t sure I would like the mix of ingredients…yet it was an exceptional quiche! We all loved it! Glad this was a winner for you too! Happy weekend, Gaye!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, what a lovely looking colorful quiche you made - so nice that you enjoyed this recipe - what a pretty presentation - I opted for different seasonal veg and we really liked this recipe as well!
Have a great weekend!

Betsy said...

I agree with you, Gaye. I wasn't sure about the celery and carrots, so not the usual quiche vegs, but it really worked, didn't it? Loved it!

yummychunklet said...

Your quiche is bursting with yummy veggies! Kudos!

mou said...

I had tasted the cooked veggies and wasn't very worried about the taste... but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the quiche turned out. Glad you enjoyed it too !

TeaLady said...

It WAS surprisingly good for having so little custard. Definitely a repeat!

Teresa said...

I didn't know what to expect either, but this may be my favourite quiche of the book, now. I love the look of the fluted edges of your quiche - so pretty!

Kayte said...

I made this today and we loved it...just made a third of the recipe in a 6" tart pan and it was perfect. Yours looks so good...not scary at all, I think mine looks about the same. I'm slowly making recipes each week that I missed from this book. Here's my post : https://grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com/grandmas_kitchen_table/2022/03/french-fridays-with-dorie-quiche-maraîchère.html