Wednesday, January 1, 2014

WWDH - Spinach and Feta Pie; Roasted Balsamic Zucchini and Mushrooms


Happy New Year!!

This week's Wednesday with Donna Hay recipe, and the first for 2014, is the Greek-inspired Spinach and Feta Pie from Modern Classics I, chosen by Margaret.  You can find an ingredient list here.

This was easy to make and quite yummy, although very filling.  I thought it was a bad idea to let the phyllo pastry overhang  the pie dish as it breaks off when you touch it and messes up the oven, the floor, the benches etc.  I only made a half serve.

I served my pie with Roasted Balsamic Zucchini and Mushrooms from this recipe.  I subbed goats cheese for feta, as I had run out of feta: 

 
 
This was a seriously delicious meal, and I would make it again.
 
To see what Margaret, Chaya, Sarah and Kayte thought, visit their websites.

6 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious! Happy New Year!

Chaya said...

I loved this and for sure, it is on my list, to make again and again. I love your choice of side dish.

Kari said...

I love filo pastry pies in summer - and spinach and feta is such a classic combination. Sounds like a winning meal!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh the weakness I have for a good Spinach and Feta Pie, Cakelaw. Yours looks delicious as do those roasted mushrooms. Goodness!

Thank you so much for sharing...Happy New Year!!!

2paw said...

It does look delicious and I think substituting ingredients is canny and wise!! I don't ever like any pastry over the edge. Famous cooks/chefs say that you should cut it off at the end, but mine break or crack. I think if the pastry is worked properly, rested and then chilled, it doesn't shrink back from the top very much at all.
Happy New Year!!!

Johanna GGG said...

happy new year cakelaw - hope it is good one with lots of good food and new recipes - I love the sound of your pie - I agree about overhanging pastry - surely would be better to fold it in as I see with other recipes