Sunday, December 16, 2012

Cherry Topped Coconut Macaroons


Don't you love Christmas baking?  Every year there are new possibilities, and the difficulty lies in choosing what recipes will make the final cut for the year.

I am going to start a series of Christmas box posts with a super easy  gift that I made for my friend Craig, who cannot eat dairy or gluten.  This year, I chose to make him Cherry-Topped Coconut Macaroons that I made using this recipe that I found online.

If you can stir things in a bowl and scoop things with a spoon, you can make these macaroons.  You just need dessicated coconut,  egg whites, sugar and vanilla extract, and glace cherries for the top (which is optional).  I wanted the cherries on top because they make the macaroons look so festive with their red and white colours. 

I tried the finished product and is is delicious, although rather on the sweet side.

These biscuits would make a great project for the kids these holidays, and I am sure would be appreciated by the recipient (provided they don't hate coconut!).

7 comments:

The Caked Crusader said...

Lovely. Isn't a glace cherry topping just the most cheerful thing?

Anonymous said...

What cute little cookies!

Kari said...

These are very cute and very Christmassy!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I always seem to have spare egg whites nowadays! These look lovely and Christmassy! :D

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

They're inverted Christmas hats! Very festive indeed. Cherry and coconut is such a classic combo!

Elaine said...

These look so pretty and festive.

Kayte said...

These are just beautiful! Just perfect for Christmas.