Sunday, June 19, 2011

Winter montage


It is now mid winter here in Melbourne, and the days are short and cold.  I found the transformation of the trees in my area quite fascinating, as they changed from green to gold and red, then finally faded and fell to the ground.  The photos in this post share that magic with you.

The top photo was taken in April, just after the leaves turned.  The days were still uniformly sunny and bright, and the sky was brilliant blue.



This photo was taken about a month later.  Most of the leaves were still clinging to the trees, but the colours had faded, and some leaves had succumbed to the inevitable and fallen to the ground.

By the end of May, a few good heavy rains had knocked all of the leaves off the trees, leaving stark grey skeletons reaching hopelessly into the dank grey sky.  We have had some wonderful sunny days since this photo was taken, but the grey days are more regular than in the warmer months.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend and that you enjoy this winter montage!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos and wonderful description of the season!

Anonymous said...

That was a good idea to take a series of photos of the same trees. It looks like fall does where I live. Do you get snow?

Gloria Baker said...

absolutely nice pictures!! here we are in winter too!! a lot of rain today!! huggs, gloria

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Just gorgeous! And I'm feeling your weather as I am in Melbourne at the moment! :P

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love Fall and Winter. Although it's always far from my mind here in American in June. I almost forget it's winter in the other half of the world :)

Cakelaw said...

Hi Jill, it doesn't usually snow in Melbourne itself - but every few years or so, it does. Weirdly, it snowed here one Christmas - and Christmas here is in summer!

Elaine said...

You photos do capture the change of the seasons. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons.

Johanna GGG said...

nice series of photos - I have noticed that we have a lot of green trees in my street and you would hardly have noticed autumn

Lauren Hairston said...

I'm so jealous of your winter weather! We had a very warm late spring; I could go for a nip in the air!