Sunday, June 5, 2011

FFwD - Warm weather pot au feu



This week's French Friday with Dorie has become French Sunday with Dorie - but better late than never, eh?

The dish at the top of this post is Warm Weather Pot Au Feu - because this group is based in the United States, where it is summer, not in Australia, where it is winter.  However, I was easily able to obtain all of the vegetables required, including asparagus.

The Pot Au Feu is a chicken stock based broth flavoured with onion, garlic and leek, and with carrot, potato, mushroom, asparagus and spinach (in my case, Swiss chard) added.  I also popped in some tinned corn that I needed to use up.  The broth is topped with a soft boiled egg.

For me, the highlight was the egg.  The rest of the soup was a little ho hum, and not something I'd make again.  Sorry, this is just not my thing, although I understand that lots of other people enjoyed it.  On to next week!

9 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Yes I've found people really love pot au feu or are non plussed by it! I like it well enough but I don't rush out to make it or eat it.

Adriana said...

I think the suggested lemongrass, lemon peel, and the basil coulis were the reasons I really enjoyed the otherwise straightforward recipe. I hope the Aussie winter is not too rough this year!

Amanda said...

Ah well, it looks good with the egg on top!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't love it, but it looks really lovely!

Cher Rockwell said...

I think any day with Dorie is a good one!
Sorry this one wasn't the thing for you. Hoprefully, next week's ribs will be more the thing for you.

Anonymous said...

Your soup and egg look fantastic! Glad you were able to make this!

Lauren Hairston said...

Not everything can be a winner! I was curious when I read "Warm weather pot au feu." I don't think I'd want pot au feu in warm weather! It's 98 degrees here and the last thing I want is soup!

Soft-boiled egg does sound good, though.

Ivy said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy the dish. It's too hot over here for soup but I would love that egg :)

Juliana said...

Sorry that you did not like it...in spite of sounding and looking yummie. The egg sure look gorgeous on the dish. Have a great week :-)