Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Daring Bakers - Swiss Swirl Icecream Cake


I am typing this at the airport while waiting for my flight home, having spent the weekend with my interstate-based family. A visit home is especially poignant at the moment, as both my mother and the family dog have in the last three months had operations to deal with the same dreaded disease. Mum is also enduring some ongoing treatment, which has knocked her about a fair bit in recent weeks, so it was lovely to see her and touch her in person. The dog is behaving as though nothing ever happened, despite the large gash on his back sewn up with stitches that make him look like a Tatty Teddy. He is lively and frisky, and doesn't seem at all bothered by his recent operation. His stitches come out tomorrow.


Because I had heavy commitments with the writing project I have mentioned previously, and I knew that I was having a weekend totally away from it all, I was ultra-organised with Daring Bakers this month, and got it done early on. However, it came at a price, Ugarte - I was so engrossed in the final assembly that I didn't notice that the washing machine drain pipe had managed to work its way out with vibration, and by the time I noticed, I had a stream flowing in my carpeted living room. Needless to say, this was not cheap to fix, and as it happened on a Saturday morning, I was lucky indeed to get hold of a carpet technician who was able to squeeze me in and sop up (or suck up!) the water. The offending hose pipe has now been taped into place with PVC tape, as this is an exercise that I do not want to repeat.

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

Sunita gave us some leeway with this challenge, in that provided we made each component (swiss roll, roll filling, two icecreams and an icecream sauce) from scratch, we did not have to use the recipes she provided.

I decided, in a rare departure, to make everything using my own recipes. I made a vanilla swiss roll from The Margaret Fulton Cookbook, a raspberry cream cheese filling, David Lebovitz's vanilla bean icecream and raspberry (in my case, mixed berry) icecream, and a mixed berry sauce inspired by Steve Manfredi.

Here is my vanilla swiss roll spread with the raspberry cream cheese filling:



Here is a far more flattering perspective after it has been rolled up, showing the pretty pink filling:



Margaret Fulton's recipe, which makes one swiss roll, is as follows:

1/2 cup self raising flour
pinch of salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
extra sugar for dredging

Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Spray a 30cm x 25cm swiss roll pan with cooking oil, and line with baking paper.

Sprinkle a flattened out tea towel with sugar ready for turning out the baked cake.

Sift the flour and salt together. In a separate heat-proof bowl standing over a saucepan of gently simmering water, whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy.

Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk the mixture until cool. Fold in the flour, then the hot water. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.

Bake the swiss roll for 7-10 minutes, until pale golden and springy.

Turn the cake out immediately onto the sugared tea towel, peel off the paper lining (carefully - the cake is fragile!), and cut off the crisp edges of the cake with a knife. Roll the hot cake up in the sugared tea towel, from one short end towards the other, and allow the cake to cool in the tea towel.

Once the cake is cool, unroll it and spread it with the raspberry cream cheese filling. The filling is comprised of 65g cream cheese, 1/4 cup icing sugar, and 2 tablespoons raspberry jam, blended together until smooth.

Stage two in the assembly process is to line a mould with glad wrap and slices of swiss roll, then freeze it for at least an hour:


Here is my vanilla bean icecream being churned - the recipe is here (I only made half):


This is my favourite icecream ever - it is delicious!!! When this icecream is softened, it is spread in a layer over the cake before freezing again:



Next, I made a mixed berry sauce from this recipe, and mixed berry icecream using this David Lebovitz recipe:


Doesn't this sauce look great!



A layer of sauce is spread over the vanilla icecream layer, then the dessert is frozen for an hour or so before the rest of the cavity is filled with softened berry icecream:



I also closed off my bombe with more slices of swiss roll.

After freezing for around 4 hours, the completed bombe is turned out:



The next photograph clearly shows all layers - and how delicious this is:



Thanks to Sunita for hosting us this month. You can check out the original recipe at her site, and check out all the wonderful variations on the bombe at The Daring Bakers blogroll.

32 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm drooling over the blondies--I can't beleive you attempted this cake with all you have going on! It looks like so much work!

CurlyPops said...

Wow that looks absolutely delicious! It must have taken you absolutely hours to make it.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Duckie, it was a lot of work - but I did it over three separate sessions, so I didn't notice too much. It's really delish - Ben should make you one!!!

Thanks Curly Pops - for a special occasion, it would be a perfect dessert.

Anonymous said...

How fabulous! I'd love to make a fancy ice cream dessert, but haven't tried it yet.

I hope things settle down for you!

Sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

How clever you are and the final slice of bomb on the plate is so very pretty!

Tammy said...

wow! that looks amazing!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks delicious! I really wish I had time to do this this month! And I hope your mum is ok! :D

Cakelaw said...

@ Jill - me too - I think that things will be calmer now that the bulk of the writing is completed.

@ Sarah - LOL - thanks!

@ Tammy - thanks!

@ Lorraine - thanks - she is doing OK - I am very proud of her.

Brenda said...

I hope your mum feels better soon. It's always such a worry when someone is sick and to be living inter-state too it's not like you can just go visit them that easily. Goodluck to her. Hope your dog is feeling better soon too...by the sounds of it he/she is doing well : )
And of course, pat on the back for the awesome ice cream cake too!! Looks so good!

sunita said...

What a pretty slice, love your combination of flavours. Am really glad that ypou could join in, inspite of everything else that's going on around you. Hugs to you and hope your mom and the family dog are doing well.

Deeba PAB said...

Love love love your bombe, and am happy you departed from the recipe this time. MF's swiss roll recipe is one I use all the time. I've been won over by David's mixed berry ice cream and how beautifully you pulled it all together. WOW!!
Hope your Mum is feeling better, and life is looking up for you. Hope the pooch has also healed! Love the new look of your blog... NICE!

Silke said...

Mmmm raspberry.
I love how your pie looks on the last picture. Really lovely!!!

Cakelaw said...

@ Brenda - thanks for the well wishes - Fred (the dog!) is apparently in very high spirits, even after his stitches came out.

@ Sunita - thanks - and thanks for choosing such a delish challenge this month and giving us so much latitude to play!

@ Deeba - thanks! I love both of David's icecream recipes
- so tempted to buy The Perfect Scoop now, but have just bought Ready for Dessert, so it will have to wait a little longer.

Thanks Silke - I used a tiny bowl (for my tiny cake) so the bombe has an odd shape like an old lady's hat, but when I cut into it, I was pleasantly surprised.

TLC said...

...wants...

yummmmmmmm that looks amazing

Hindy said...

What a beautiful recipe! I've never made a bombe but it looks quite doable.
My best wishes for your mom's recovery.

AmyRuth said...

Definitely not your average ice cream cake! What a work of art! The combo of components is beautiful and complex. Sometimes good therapy is the return especially when life throws a curve ball. Amazing!
AmyRuth

Yasmeen said...

Very well done,the luscious berry filling looks awesome.Wishing a quick recovery to your mom and doggie :D

Leslie said...

What a lovely bombe! I love the flavors you went with. This was my first DB challenge and I stuck with the chocolate and vanilla, using Dorie's ice creams and my own hot fudge.

I hope your mom recovers from her illness quickly. It was surely rejuvenating for her to see you!

The Blonde Duck said...

I would want to be pansy poppins or priscilla piper!

Jeanne said...

I hope your Mum and dog recover quickly! You sure are ambitious to attempt this cake with everything else going on. It looks so beautiful and the berries sound delicious!

Cakelaw said...

@ Lazy Cook - yes it is!

@ Clivia - Thanks. This cake is very doable.

@ AmyRuth - Thanks! You're right - baking takes your mind off things.

@ Yasmeen - thanks!

@ Leslie - I normally just make the recipe as is too - I was on a non-chocolate bent, I think!

@ Duckie - Pansy Poppins for me!

@ Jeanne - thanks. I enjoyed making this one, just needed some organisation (and perhaps to pay attention to what else was going on in the laundry!!)

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm the layers look gorgeous, the colours go so well, bet they tasted so good too!

Nachiketa said...

Absolutely amazing use of flavours and colors....

Hope ure mom's better now and dog's healing too... wishing them the best of health...

Daring Baker - Swiss Swirl Icecream Cake

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Cakelaw said...

@ Natalie - thanks, yes, they were delish!

@ Nachiketa - thank you for your well wishes, they are greatly appreciated.

Gloria Baker said...

Love this cake cakelaw! gloria

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Love the flavours in your cake. While I don't have a favourite chef, I always swear by David Lebovitz's recipes.

Barbara Bakes said...

It looks delicious. I especially love the berry sauce!

Johanna GGG said...

fantastic flavour combination and I love the photo of your swiss roll - looks very professional - I confess this challenge ticks many of the boxes of my fears when it comes to sweet foods so I am impressed

Johanna GGG said...

And I forgot to say in my last comment that I am sorry to hear about your mum and your dog - glad you were able to spend some time at home

Baker at Law said...

I love the look of your berry ice cream. It looks delicious. I love the flavor combination as well. Great job on the challenge.

Finla said...

I hope your mom and the do gets well soon. I also want to visit my mom back home in India but that will have to wait till next year as daughter is stating college here.
Love the dessert and they look yumm.

celia said...

Oh this is so clever! A swiss roll bombe! I've made swiss rolls before, but never thought to take them that extra step - thanks for the inspiration!