Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie - Caramel Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake


Hello to all TWD members - this is my very first Tuesday with Dorie, even though I have owned her book, Baking: From My Home to Yours, for about 12 months now. As luck would have it, my first TWD is hosted by my great blogging friend, Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy. She has chosen Dorie's Caramel Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake as this week's recipe, which I admit to having eyed up previously a few times without making.

Luckily for me, this seemed to go off without a hitch. My cake did not sink as Dorie warned it might:




After sweating about whether my caramel would ever turn dark amber, it did, and I didn't burn myself with all the pop and crackle when I added the butter and cream to the toffee syrup:


And the end result was not unlike an ooey-gooey but delicious inside-out Snickers bar:


This one stumped the troops - a few were not brave enough to try it, and worried about putting on weight just looking at it. I for one have put on a bit in the last year or so, but was more than happy to risk life and limb to try a piece of this - and it was good! At the end of the day, there was a couple of pieces left, which when put up for grabs, were quickly snaffled by our Network Operations staff. Hooray!!

Thanks to Tammy for hosting TWD this week, and do go and check out the other takes on the Caramel Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake at the
TWD blogroll.

15 comments:

Dee said...

Great job on the challenge! I love Snicker bars so I've been saving the recipe for a Good Reason To Get Fat.

Anonymous said...

You must recruit new troops! This cake was too good to pass up. Great job, and welcome to TWD!

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Wow your cake is fantastic dear! this could be your first time with Dorie..:-P but it seems you've been doing it for ages ! very good job indeed hun!
a big kiss
Silvia

Deb said...

Yes, this is also one I have eyed up. It looks very yummy.

Rosie said...

Congratulations on your first entry to TWD :) Your cake looks decadent and very scummy!! Oh boy just look at that slice waiting for me ;)

I also have this amazing book but as yet haven't taken the leap to join TWD - maybe one day!

Rosie x

The Blonde Duck said...

Another masterpiece!

giz said...

I love the description of this cake. When I first looked at it, I thought for sure my teeth would hurt but after reading - well, I'm ready to try it....and as luck would have it, I do have the book...bonus.

Cakelaw said...

LOL Dee - I know what you mean.

Thanks Rebecca - I am happy to be on board :)

Thanks Sylvia - you are very kind.

Hi Deb, it is indeed yummy - my tip is to make the caramel by itslef for ice cream - it is just fab!

Hi Rosie, I read so much about Dorie's book that I considered it a "must have", and I have enjoyed it - although I always have to look up how much is in a stick of butter (~115g if you wanted to know!).

Thanks Blonde Duck :)

I'm with you Giz - it really does look like a knock your teeth out, don't tell your dentist treat - but the topping alone is worth making.

Tammy said...

Welcome to TWD! i am so pleased that you have joined and that my pick was your first recipe! Well done - it looks awesome!

The Caked Crusader said...

Oh....I shouldn't have looked at this. I can sum up my feelings in one word: WANT!!!

Gorgous looking cake

Y said...

Hahaha.. yes, it certainly looks extremely lethal to the hips! Look at all that amazing caramel though! And an "inside-out Snickers bar"? Love that description! :)

Gretchen Noelle said...

Glad you have joined TWD! Great time to do so! Your cake looks great - I am impressed that it did not sink!!!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Tammy - I enjoyed this challenge.

LOL Crusader - I did the same thing every time I flicked through Dorie's book.

Y, I am sure it is - but hey, I like to live on the edge!

Thanks Gretchen - I was waiting for it to do so, and breathed a sigh of relief when it didn't.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Welcome to TWD! Glad this turned out well for you!

Linda said...

Look like your cake turned out perfectly. I don't even want to know the calories and fat in this...i'm sure it's a fat bomb! Great job!