Monday, July 25, 2016

Broccoli and Ricotta Mash


Mashed potatoes are nearly universally adored, but poor old broccoli is often given a bad rap.  If you have children who don't like broccoli, or you are not a fan, a way that you might be able to make it more palatable is by making this broccoli and ricotta mash.

The mash comprises potatoes, broccoli and ricotta, mashed together with flavour enhancing ingredients.  This delicious mash alternative is from The Good Life by Sally Obermeder, and the recipe is as follows:

2 small potatoes diced into 2cm squares
500g broccoli cut into small florets
2 tbspns olive oil
2 crushed cloves garlic
115g ricotta
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbspns lemon juice

Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 8 minutes.  Add the broccoli and cook for another 6 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Heat 1 tbspn of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the garlic.

Drain the potatoes and broccoli and put into the bowl of a food processor.  Add the garlic with the remaining tbspn of olive oil, the ricotta, and    the lemon zest and juice, and process until you have the desired  mash consistency.

Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve as a nutritious side with whatever you fancy.

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I know some people hate broccoli but I really love it! I usually eat it steamed or stir fried but I should really use it more in recipes!

Johanna GGG said...

oooh this looks so yummy - funny enough sylvia would eat broccoli by itself but not eat it in a mash - which is a shame as I would love it - though maybe if I serve it with her favourite sausages she will try it

Kari said...

I've seen lots of variations on vegetable mashes but never one quite like this - what an interesting idea and it sounds like you found it a success.

2paw said...

I've made a mash with parsnips and another with baby spinach, but never broccoli. I Love broccoli and cauliflower cheese. I secretly prefer broccolini, but you could induce me to eat your mash, it looks delish!!