Monday, May 30, 2016

Feijoa Jam


Feijoas are odd little green fruits that I had never heard of until I met a person with a feijoa tree.  You can see what they look like here.

Those people that knew about feijoas seemed to rave about feijoa jam, especially Kiwis. I was curious to try it, and I got my chance when I walked past my local fruit shop and they had feijoas out the front.  I bought some with feijoa jam on my mind.

Finding a recipe for feijoa jam was easy enough - I used this one and scaled it down for the number of feijoas that I had.  I was a bit lost as to what to expect from a feijoa when peeling it - the skin is quite hard and it is difficult to see where the skin ends and the fruit begins.  I have subsequently learned from reading other sites that to get at the feijoa flesh, it is better to cut them in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.

I was really pleased with how this jam turned out - it set perfectly: 


Feijoa jam tastes like lemon travel sweets.  I do like it, and it is quite different to what I imagined.  I tried it spread on a pikelet - very tasty.

If you do run across some feijoas, I recommend giving this jam a go - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

How wonderful to make your own jam! Glad it turned out tasty.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

What an unusual looking fruit, your jam looks delicious, love the color.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh lemon travel sweets! I love that description and I love lemon travel sweets so this would be fantastic! :D

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

I like feijoas, but don't think I've tried feijoa jam before - how delicious!

Johanna GGG said...

feijoas are a bit of a mystery to me - good to know what to do with them if I am confronted

Kari said...

Jam that tastes like lemon travel sweets - I am very intrigued! I've never come across feijoas so this sounds interesting.

2paw said...

We do have feijoas here in Tasmania, and I have eaten them but they always smell, to me, faintly of scented soap. The jam looks delicious. I have only ever eaten them as a fruit.

Kayte said...

Anything that tastes like lemons is a hit with me straight off. It was fun to learn about the feijoas as I had no idea what they were...thanks for the link to actually see them outside and insides! The jam looks marvelous. What a treat!