Thursday, January 21, 2016

EwE - Mushroom Sloppy Joes



This week's Eating with Ellie dish was chosen by Peggy.  It is mushroom sloppy joes.  Yep, even though this dish looks like a regular sloppy joe with mince, the "mince" is actually diced capsicums and mushrooms.  

It sounds weird, and it smells weird, but it tastes OK.  Certainly, the filling doesn't taste like beef mince, but it is a reasonable facsimile thereof if you happen to be vegetarian or just wanting to reduce the amount of meat in your diet.

Would I make these again?  Unlikely.  However, it was an interesting experiment, and I was fascinated how the predominately green vegetable mixture was transformed to something closely resembling mince.  

To see what the others thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the EwE website.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Sorry you did not love it! We actually did and i will be making these again. Thanks for cooking with me this week!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Interesting! I think we'd probably love this on a meat free night :D

Kari said...

I've never had sloppy joes of any variety but like the sound of these.

Kayte said...

I loved these...and I made them, and I photographed them, so really I should just get going on posting about them. Yours look wonderful but I do understand not everyone is a fan of things like this when they are really looking for the real thing! :-)