Tuesday, August 11, 2020

TWD - Double-Mint Milk Chocolate Mousse and Gelee

 

“Open the whiskey, Tom,” she ordered, “and I’ll make you a mint julep.”  The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald  

This week’s Tuesday with Dorie recipe combines the freshness of mint with the richness of chocolate in a single dessert which highlights both - Double-Mint Milk Chocolate Mousse and Gelee.

As a child, I used to think that After Dinner Mints were the height of grown up elegance. This dessert takes that elegance and converts it into a dessert that is so sophisticated, it could nearly be classified as a cocktail - just add booze.

I wasn’t sure if I’d like the gelee, which highlights fresh mint, as mint has never been one of my favourite herbs. However, I was pleasantly surprised - it made a fresh clear foil for decadence of the chocolate mousse, made with mint-infused cream.

I thought this was a lovely, elegant looking dessert, more Jordan Baker than Daisy Buchanan.  I am not a huge mousse fan because it is so rich, but still enjoyed this dessert.

As Dorie suggested, I served my mousse and gelee topped with a splodge of Greek yoghurt and a mint leaf to add a touch of colour.

To see what everyone else made this week and their thoughts on it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website. 




3 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

I really enjoyed the mousse, could take or leave the gelée to be honest (it's a texture thing). But the mousse? SO GOOD!

Zosia said...

I used to love After Eight mint chocolate...no wonder I enjoyed this dessert so much! (I even liked the gelee!)

Diane Zwang said...

I am glad that you liked these. I hope to get to them this month. I baked from the wrong book again this week.