Sunday, July 12, 2020

Hummingbird Cake



... what I always begged her to fix for my birthday was her rich hummingbird cake with pineapple and bananas and pecans and a real sweet cream cheese icing. James Villas, Hungry for Happiness

The origins of the Hummingbird Cake and how it came by its name are murky, but it is not disputed that it is a very popular cake. I was quite taken with Martha Stewart’s version when I saw it made on TV, and could not resist making it, especially as I had canned pineapple, banana and cream cheese frosting ready to go. Martha made a two layer cake with walnuts instead of pecans. I made a 6” single layer version, but it was good,



The cake is moist and sweet but not overly sweet, and it’s a cake I could eat a lot of.

If you would like to make Martha’s version of the famous Hummingbird Cake, you can find the recipe here.

2 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I love hummingbird cake - you have made me want to make some! (I saw some with carrot the other day and thought it was just not cricket!)

Cakelaw said...

I agree - it’s carrot cake if they put carrot in it! This is a nice recipe- I quartered it for a single layer 6” cake.