Tuesday, April 7, 2020

TWD - Little Rascals (Spitzbuben)



This week’s Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Liitle Rascals, known in their native Germany as Spitzbuben.  They are delicious little sandwich cookies made with a dough containing ground walnuts, with two biscuits (one having a peek a boo hole in it) sandwiched together with jam.

Dorie warned that the soft dough might be a pain to work with, and she was not wrong!! I ended up leaving the cut out cookies on the paper I cut them out on and removing the dough from around the cutouts, as they were too soft to lift. I cut any jagged edges off when the biscuits came out of the oven.

The only small cutter I have is heart-shaped, so my biscuits have a heart-shaped peekaboo cutout, revealing the cherry jam beneath.

On a taste scale, these were devine, but on an ease of making, they rate as painful because the dough is quite temperamental.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

5 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

I love the look of these but I will make sure I have some patience when I make them! Yours are so cute!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, your Spitzbuben look very pretty and I happen to know that these cookies are a true delight - recipes around here usually call fo ground almonds in the cookie dough but ground walnuts also sounds fabulous! I really like how they look!
Well done, my friend! Glad you enjoyed these!

Diane Zwang said...

Sorry the dough was so fussy for you. I did just a few at a time which seemed to help. I love the little hearts.

Angela said...

Hello.
I too thought your Spitzbuben looked rather cute, and immediately I want to make a batch.
I am not a walnut fan so might substitute almond meal. How do you think that will taste, and also the likelihood of them being successful?

Over this very quiet weekend, I happened to look at some of your early blog post recipes. I was particularly taken by the recipes from the Crabapple Bakery. There was such a range of cupcakes. I looked on eBay to see if the cookbook was available, and it is. Would you recommend it as a good buy? Or have you made better cupcake recipes since then?
Many thanks, and happy Easter.
Angela

Cakelaw said...

Hi Angela, almond meal would be fine in these - in fact it would probably work well. I like The Crabapple Bakery Cookbook - it has my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe and my second favourite vanilla cupcake recipe, with lots of different decorating ideas.