Tuesday, February 18, 2020

TWD - Lavender-White Chocolate Sables


This week's  Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Lavender-White Chocolate Sables.  This follows on nicely from last week's White Chocolate-Lavender Pots de Crème, and ensures that I use up some more of that culinary lavender that I bought especially for the purpose.

These biscuits involve making a sable dough flavoured with ground dried lavender (which really emits a strong perfume when you are grinding it) and white chocolate.

From a half recipe, I made 36 small cookies.  I found that I could have baked them for a shorter time than in the recipe, as mine coloured a little more than they should.

These biscuits are OK - pleasant enough, but not a repeat at my place.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website

And if you love old worldly hotels, do check out my latest travel post about The Carrington Hotel in Katoomba, New South Wales.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Well, I learned something new today---had to look up sables. Sounds like my kind of cookie without lavender, etc! Definitely different and I should get out her cookie cookbook and look at it, but you seem to hit recipes right on spot and if you won't repeat them, I won't make them! Thanks for your honest review!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh what a shame that they weren't more moreish. I like the sound of these a lot!

Mardi Michels said...

I made these with lime zest instead of lavender and LOVED them! Didn't get any lavender, not a fan!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look lovely to me. i didn’t think the lavender was very strong in the end, but i liked the white chocolate bits.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, what a lovely looking cookie with a rather intriguing flavor combination - I have to admit that I never baked with ground lavender but that sounds interesting! Adn white chocolate is always good in cookies/sablés.

Diane Zwang said...

Your cookies came out perfect no burned bits like mine. We are enjoying these but will probably not make again at with the lavender. So how are you fairing with the fires? Are they anywhere near you?

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Did you say white chocolate???! I'm in!! I'd probably skip the lavender, too :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Wow, these are GORGEOUS!!! I think I might be able to do this! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Diane, we only got the smoke from the fires, which was bad enough. I feel for those who were caught up in the fires. Because I live in the city, the fires themselves did not get this far.