Tuesday, October 8, 2019

TWD - Cream Cheese and Toast Tartlets


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Cream Cheese and Toast Tartlets.  At first, I was a little skeptical as to what this recipe would be like, especially as it included a toasted bread topping (which seemed a little weird to me).

I needn't have worried - these little tarts were good.  I quartered the dough and topping recipe and halved the filling recipe (after realising that I could get two tart shells out of my dough instead of just one), and ended up with two tartlets. 


These little tarts are pretty and elegant.  The easiest tartlet tins for me to find were some heart-shaped ones that someone gave to me recently (I don't often use tartlet tins), which explains the shape (ie no deliberate decision to make heart-shaped tartlets).


I was worried that the filling would not set as only a miniscule amount of gelatine was involved as the setting agent, but the tartlets set beautifully.  

The filling of these tarts is smooth and silky, and the topping on top adds a nice contrast crunch.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they though of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

These are so interesting! I would have wondered about the toast topping too!

Johanna GGG said...

The name of these sounds like they are savoury - the actual tarts looked very different to what I imagined - glad to hear you enjoyed them

Cakelaw said...

They are definitely sweet!

Diane Zwang said...

Love the tartlet pans. I am glad that you enjoyed these. I look forward to making them.

Zosia said...

Those are absolutely adorable!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i like the heart tarts! this was such a wacky sounding combo, but it really worked!

Mardi Michels said...

I can't wait to try these! They look so good! And I wondered about the filling too - good to know that it does set!