Tuesday, November 20, 2018

TWD - Sweet Potato Pie Bars




This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Sweet Potato Pie Bars, being very Thanksgiving appropriate.  Even if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving (like me), there is a lot to love in these pie bars - buttery shortcrust base, custardy sweet potato filling, and the piece de resistance - a toasted marshmallow topping (optional/not optional).


The only thing that caught me by surprise was how quickly the marshmallows toasted under the grill - I left the room for a minute and could smell them about to burn.  Yikes!

These bars would definitely be a repeat if I ever have the time and inclination, because they are sooooo good.

The lovely tea towel my pie bars are displayed on came from the Norman Lindsay Gallery and Museum, and features a cat cartoon by Norman Lindsay, who was apparently very fond of cats and owned several in his lifetime.  I think it goes well with my cat Fish's Eddy plate, which is hiding under the bars.

To see what everyone else made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm a bit obsessed with toasted marshmallow. I can take or leave untoasted marshmallow but find the toasted version hard to resist!

Johanna GGG said...

yum - these sound delicious - I would like these with the toasted marshmallow, esp if I celebrated thanksgiving - but I am like you and it passes me by. (I saw some people in the supermarket with a trolleyful that seemed for thanksgiving and it just seemed an odd thing to do in Australia but they were American.

Cakelaw said...

I am a sucker for marshmallow of any kind so I usually ban myself from buying them.

Cakelaw said...

Yes, it’s OK if they are American, but it makes no sense for Aussies to adopt it because it’s a very specific occasion.

Diane Zwang said...

I agree that these are so good. I can't wait to make them again. I don't think marshmallows are optional either:)