Tuesday, September 18, 2018

TWD - Devil's Food Wafflets with Chocolate Sauce


For Tuesday with Dorie this week, we are breaking out the chocolate for breakfast with Devil's Food Wafflets with Chocolate Sauce.  Dorie says that waffles are revered in Europe and not just eaten for breakfast, but breakfast time was the most convenient juncture for me to make these wafflets.

To make waffles, you need some kind of waffle iron.  I have a stovetop waffle pan somewhere, but since I moved house earlier this year, it has been securely stashed as I rarely use it.   I was not in the frame of mind to be retrieving the waffle pan from its hidden location.  However, I remembered an episode of Jamie's Christmas where Jamie Oliver made waffles outside on a griddle pan.  Perfect!!  I could easily access my griddle pan, so I used this as my "waffle iron".  I think it worked pretty well: 


I only made a quarter of the recipe, which still yields two serves of waffles and sauce for one person.  I topped the waffles and sauce with chopped strawberries.  I thought that using strawberries was pretty brave of me, given that there are currently persons unknown in Australia who think it is quite funny to bury sewing needles inside of strawberries and watch people on the news maim themselves permanently when they unknowingly ingest  the needles.  However, my strawberries were just gorgeous and needle-free.

These wafflets were good, but I don't usually make waffles, so they probably won't be popping  up regularly in my  house.

To see what the others made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a clever idea using your griddle pan. I haven't got a waffle maker but I want one but I don't have the space!

Johanna GGG said...

I don't have a waffle pan but I have a griddle pan so maybe I will try this - those waffles look great but more dessert than breakfast - and grrr about the strawberries.

Diane Zwang said...

I didn't have time to make these and my husband is opposed to chocolate for breakfast. I think I will have to make them for a dessert. Scary about the strawberry situation. I am glad yours were ok.

Mardi Michels said...

I also made mine on a griddle pan - I kind of like how they turn out that way!

Pam said...

I always like to stop in here and be surprised by another great recipe. I will be looking in her cookie cookbook for this! Thanks! Great that your griddle pan worked!

Sarah B. said...

I saw the needle story on the news! So scary! Your griddle waffles look lovely!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

what a good tip to use a griddle pan! i hope that needle scare is over-- how awful!