Thursday, October 26, 2017

Red Tractor October - Moroccan Couscous Salad



October's Red Tractor calendar recipe is Moroccan Couscous Salad.  It is Moroccan spiced couscous containing lots of vegetables, which is what I think inspired the quote of the month:


This salad was easy to make and quite tasty.  Add a can of tuna and you have a complete meal.

The recipe is as follows (I made half):

2 cups cooked couscous
750g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 heaped teaspoon Moroccan seasoning (I used harissa)
420g can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup currants (I forgot these)
1/2 cup lightly toasted pepitas
100g coarsely chopped rocket leaves (I used a spinach and rocket mix)
1 cup chopped parsley (I left this out)
1/2 cup chopped mint (I also left this out)

Dressing:

Juice and zest of 2 large lemons
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I used orange vinegar)
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.  Line an oven tray with baking paper.  Toss the sweet potato in the olive oil and Moroccan seasoning, place on the baking tray, and bake for 30-40 minutes until soft and caramelised.

Fluff up the couscous with a fork, then toss through the remaining salad ingredients.

Out the dressing ingredients into a screw top glass jar and shake until combined.  Use the dressing to dress the salad.  Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

While I haven't had this exact salad, I've had quite a few similar and you're right, it's pretty tasty! :D

Johanna GGG said...

wow that salad looks really good - I have everything to have it tomorrow - except maybe the energy to make it :-) and great quote too - not that I have ever felt in charge of the garden

2paw said...

Yum, I love a good couscous salad, and they are hard to find. It looks great.

Kari said...

This sounds like my kind of recipe! Delicious.