Tuesday, April 11, 2017

TWD - Laurent's Slow Roasted Pineapple


This week's Tuesday with Dorie recipe is Laurent's Slow Roasted Pineapple. 

Initially, I was not enthused about making this dish.  First, it's autumn here, and I had grave doubts about being able to find a fresh pineapple.  However, my local fruit shop came through, and I bought a half pineapple instead of whole (because what was I going to do with a whole pineapple?).

Second, I wondered why anyone would bother spending two hours roasting pineapple.  Seriously, I thought, "why not just open a can of Golden Circle and be done with it?" 



However, after tasting this, I have changed my tune.  The peeled and quartered pineapple is roasted for two hours with a mixture of jam (in my case, marmalade), booze (in my case, Scotch), and a mixture of spices (I used cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves and a cinnamon stick).   

The end result is a sticky, candied concoction that is terribly addictive.  I could have eaten all of it at once.  However, I stretched it over three sessions, eating some on its own and the rest on my morning muesli.  (Boozey pineapple on muesli?  Yes please.)

Loved this - must bear it in mind as a summer dinner party dessert.

To see what the others made this week and what they thought of it, visit the LYL section of the TWD website.

6 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Hmmm ok I guess I didn't "get this one". It was ok... But just ok. I accidentally cut it into triangles before I roasted it so only roasted for about 90 minutes but I didn't get the appeal. Oh well, win some, lose some...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh two hours! I love that sort of recipe but then again I have a fruit bat at home that loves the stuff and would happily devour it.

Zosia said...

I love the idea of using this on morning muesli....an excellent start to the day!

Kari said...

I can understand your reluctance to invest time in this! It does look amazing though - I'm glad you tried it so you could enjoy the delicious results.

Diane Zwang said...

It will be interesting to see how this one comes out for me. Sounds good for breakfast.

flour.ish.en said...

I had these with yogurt. Morning muesli is a great choice.