Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Betty's Burgers & Concrete Co, Melbourne


Betty's Burgers and Concrete Co is a burger restaurant chain founded in Noosa.  It landed in Melbourne late last year, taking over a vacated Laura Ashley store location.  When Betty's first opened, it was impossible to get in the door, such was its popularity, so I left my run at Betty's for a few months.

Betty's is styled to mimic US-style burger joints, and is remarked by commentators to be like Shake Shack.   I liked the kitschy 50's style store fitout, which I found quite charming.

Betty's is still very popular, despite having been open for nearly 6 months now.  At lunch and dinner, the lines still snake out the door as people line up for a seat.  However, I am in the minority in that the décor is where my love of Betty's ends. 

Burgers and fries are quite pricey.  I ordered a Betty's classic (beef, lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, lettuce, Betty's special sauce), which cost $10 for what  was a rather small burger.  Shoestring fries are $5, although the serving of fries was quite generous.  You need the fries, as the burger will not fill you up by itself:


Looks attractive enough, doesn't it.  The taste was OK, but nothing out of the ordinary.  And something about Betty just didn't agree with me.  For a $15 burger meal, I was hoping for more.

Here is an interior shot of Betty's - quite pleasing from my perspective:


This is the inside view of my Classic Betty:


Ok, but not something I'll be hurrying back for.  However, I am in the minority, judging from the ever snaking queues out the door and the rave reviews online.

You can also buy frozen concretes at Betty's, which have some great sounding flavours, but at $8 a pop, I'll wait til I can share one.

97 Elizabeth St
Melbourne VIC 3000 

No comments: