Sunday, January 29, 2017

That Banana Cake from Fika and Hygge


I recently acquired a copy of Fika and Hygge - Comforting Cakes and Bakes from Scandinavia by Bronte Aurell.  After flicking through its pages in a bookshop, I couldn't resist the gorgeous baking recipes with a twist and added this book to my vast collection.


The first recipe that I decided to make was That Banana Cake, primarily because my freezer is full of frozen bananas, one or two of which always fall out at me every time I open the freezer.  The owners of Scandikitchen in London serve this cake in their café, where it is a favourite. 

The dense banana cake is topped with a whipped cream cheese frosting - and it tastes as good as it sounds.  The cake is moist and the frosting adds more flavour and moistness plus some crunch with the nuts on top.  I used walnuts instead of pecans - I am sure they worked just as well.

You can find the recipe for this cake in the book, or online here.  I recommend buying the book - it has some wonderful recipes that are a little different to what you'll find elsewhere. 

4 comments:

The-FoodTrotter said...

I love this book! I saw it several times in a nice bookshop. I see the recipe are worthy :à

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh this sounds just like a cookbook that I would like! :D

Kari said...

This sounds like a good book and this looks like a good cake! I'll enjoy seeing what else you make from it.

2paw said...

Hygge is everywhere, you are so on trend. This is my kind of cake and I have a lot of bananas too!! Thanks for the link, it looks rich and yummy.