Friday, January 27, 2017

Michelle Bridges' Date Loaf



Today I bring you another Michelle Bridges' recipe from Food for Life.  This time, it is a date loaf.  You know from my previous experience with Michelle's sweet recipes that they generally taste "healthy" - that is, your local bakery won't be selling them any time soon.

So it was with this Date Loaf.  You can find the recipe online here. Yes, the date loaf does contain maple syrup and medjool dates.  However, when combined with the wholemeal flour and just the teeniest amount of coconut oil, the finished loaf is a rather dry affair.

When Michelle advises to serve this date loaf warm, I'd agree with her - it is a bit like cardboard served cold.  I also recommend taking up her suggestion of serving it with nut butter to give it some extra flavour and moisture.

This date loaf isn't terrible, but it isn't something I'll be racing to make again.  In the meantime, I have put the rest of it in the freezer for me to eat as a snack, as I don't think my colleagues would really appreciate this one.

5 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think I will give this a miss. It sounds like I might be quite underwhelmed by it.

Johanna GGG said...

You really didn't sell it but I still would like to make it as I bought a tub of medjool dates and really should use them and I like date loaf but not sure if I will be in a baking mood next week! If I am, this is on the list

Kari said...

Oh dear - healthy snacks are all well and good but cardboard doesn't sound great! At least warm with nut butter it improves a bit.

Pam said...

Oh well. It looks good though. And the Cashew Spread sounds great, never have seen it, nor heard of it. Yum!

2paw said...

I really appreciate your independent review. I think a lot of "healthy" things have the same problem. I shall eat butter, sugar and white flour and throw caution to the wind!!