Friday, May 6, 2016

Raw Carrot Cake for The Melbourne Cake Club - Non-Baked Cakes


Last night, the Melbourne Cake Club had its monthly meeting, with the theme of Non-Baked Cakes.  The meeting was held at The Ugly Duckling in Richmond:



The Ugly Duckling is tucked unobtrusively near the corner of Swan and Church Streets in Richmond, and has an extensive  range of cocktails.  I chose the Orchard Pixie (apple and elderflower liqueur) ($19), which was quite refreshing:



After we ordered our cocktails, we turned to the highlight of the evening - the cakes!

Abi made a gingerbread cheesecake:



Our newest member, Nicole K, made a chocolate biscuit cake with macadamias:



Sue made a Lemon, Lime and Ginger Cheesecake:



Nicole N made a Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake:



Dalya made Tiramisu:



and I made a Raw Carrot Cake:




It seems that I am drawn to the same recipes over and over, because I made exactly the same raw carrot cake some time ago. I used Teresa Cutter's recipe, which is online here.  However, to frost the cake, I veered off on my own path and made a yoghurt frosting made by draining the yoghurt overnight before mixing with icing sugar and vanilla.  It was based on this recipe, but I halved the icing sugar.  I also made candied walnuts to decorate, using this  recipe.

What is surprising about the raw carrot cake is that, after the requisite period of chilling, all of the ingredients meld into each other.  The resulting cake is quite tangy, albeit soft and not amenable to being out of the fridge for very long.  It is also surprisingly sweet.

And here are my leftovers from the evening:



This was a terrific theme, and a good night was had by all.  Next month's theme is cakes to share, and we are bringing guests.  If you are in the Melbourne area and would like to join us, you can find The Melbourne Cake Club out on Meetup.com and register.


238 Swan Street
Richmond VIC 3121
Phone: (03) 9429 1498 






7 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! What a fun event! The cakes look delicious and your raw carrot cake got my attention! It's added to my list of must tries!

Johanna GGG said...

Your carrot cake looks really good and I think you might have been the most adventurous baker this month :-)

Kari said...

My kind of cake theme :D What a great selection you ended up with, as always.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

What a fun club, great theme. That had to be delicious and interesting.

Janet @ Healthoop said...

Creative! I love this food. It looks nice and delicious. My son maybe enjoy it. I will try... ^^

2paw said...

Oh, all that beautiful cake and dessert and no baking. I love the plate of treasure to take home!!!

Kayte said...

Wow, that take home platter was amazing. And all those cheesecakes, YUM on cheesecakes! I am intrigued by a raw carrot cake still. I can't imagine. I guess I need to make it to see what it is all about, we do love carrots! I always love to see and read these posts, thanks for sharing. :-) Now if I could just find a way to get a bite of each of those cakes (okay, not the chocolate bites, but the others!).