Sunday, February 14, 2016

Ina Garten's Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing for Valentine's Day



Now I wake up happy

Warm in a lover's embrace
No one else can touch us
While we're in this place

(Split Enz, Message to My Girl)


Love it or loathe it, it is Valentines Day today.  The story goes that it celebrates the life of Saint Valentine, who was imprisoned by the Romans for performing weddings for soldiers, who were forbidden to marry. Accordingly to Wikipedia, the day was first associated with romantic love by Chaucer.



I have been wanting to make Ina Garten's Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing ever since I first saw them on The Barefoot Contessa (it wasn't that long ago - the Food Network in Australia is still new).  I thought these decadent cakes would tie up wonderfully with Valentines Day - my excuse to make them!  You can find the recipe online here.




These little cakes are just magical - rich and decadent, and with the killer combination of chocolate and peanut flavours.  I substituted the sour cream in the cakes for Greek yoghurt, and it worked just fine.

To those who celebrate it, Happy Valentines Day!

Postscript:


A big shoutout to The Dessert Parlour and Collins234 for this delicious raspberry donut, which I received gratis as part of a Valentines Day promotion.  Thanks! 

6 comments:

Beth said...

Looks delicious! Anything by Ina is terrific.

Unknown said...

It looks delicious. Yum Yum.

Kari said...

These sound utterly delicious. Perfect for Valentine's Day, but also I think for any day!

Johanna GGG said...

I'd welcome these on any day - sound delicious and the doughnuts are cute too

TeaLady said...

These have to be my two fave flavors for cupcakes. You nailed it!!

Kayte said...

Always love Ina recipes as she is so good at flavors and writing recipes. These are so cute.