Thursday, February 18, 2016

EwE - Cheesy Delights - Black and Red Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese




For Eating with Ellie this week, Chaya chose "Cheesy Delights" as the theme.  I flicked through Weeknight Wonders and found several options, but settled on Ellie's Black and Red Salad with Walnuts and Goat Cheese.  Doesn't that sound intriguing?

The salad is comprised of red lettuce leaves, beetroot greens (I used baby spinach as the supermarket had chopped the greens off my beets), grated raw beetroot, black plums, blackberries, toasted walnuts and goats cheese, dressed with a honey and red wine vinegar dressing.


Ellie suggested serving this salad with fish or chicken, so I chose fish.

 I loved this salad.  There was crunch from the lettuce and the walnuts, sweetness from the plums and beetroots, tartness from the blackberries and creaminess from the cheese.  It's a fabulous salad that needs to be enjoyed while the summer fruits are still in season.  I'd make this again.

To see how everyone else interpreted the Cheesy Delights theme, visit the LYL section of the EwE website.

6 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

That is one intriguing salad, Gaye. All of that colorful goodness beaming to be enjoyed!

Thanks so much for sharing, Gaye...

Johanna GGG said...

sounds delicious - and it is nice you can choose a seasonal meal from the cookbook

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think I'd love this salad! I love it when you get a bit of crunch, sweet and creamy :D

2paw said...

Oh yum, that sounds delicious. I found beetroot leaves in a bag with baby spinach at the supermarket. WE leaned today in our seminar that all the dark fruits: blueberries, blackberries etc are Very Good for you. And as a bonus they taste yummy.
I am always looking for a new salad, thanks.

TeaLady said...

Look at all those wonderful flavors. YUM!

Kayte said...

Oh your selection of that salad for the cheesy delights for EwE was definitely inspired. That looks so good. Need to get that one made, but probably this summer when plums and blackberries are nicely available and wonderfully ripe. Yours looks excellent.