Wednesday, June 17, 2015

WWDH - Twice Cooked Crispy Chicken



Our Wednesday with Donna Hay recipe this week was Twice Cooked Crispy Chicken, chosen by Peggy

The recipe calls for the chicken to be poached then fried.   Unfortunately, I read too late that the chicken was supposed to have the skin on - hence why it was called "crispy". Oops, I had bought skinless chicken breasts.

I don't think that the poaching ingredients (stock, cinnamon, soy sauce, star anise) added much flavour to the chicken - the poaching period was not long enough. I also think I should have cooked my chicken for longer than stated (see photo) - oh well, I am fine and none the worse for not having cooked it for quite long enough.  In the end, it just tasted like pan-fried chicken - which is quite good in itself.

To see what the others thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the WWDH website.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I agree with everything you said! We could not really taste the poaching ingredients. Just tasted like panfried chicken. We liked it anyway. But why go to the trouble of poaching it if it's not going to be more flavorful? Glad you enjoyed it anyway! Yours does look a little pink inside!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love chicken skin! So I think I'd enjoy this but as you say poach it for longer or marinate it for longer :)

Kayte said...

Hmmm...I could definitely taste the poaching sauce and it did flavor my chicken nicely so I enjoyed that part a lot. The combination of the sauce ingredients was a winner for me. I don't like frying so I just tossed that chicken skin before I ate it and was fine with the rest. Something creepy to me about chicken skin, lol. Yours looks delicious, I wish the flavors had stood out more for you.

TeaLady said...

The flavors in the chicken were quite mild but did come out more when fried. Not a repeat but wasn't bad. I really expected more of the flavor to come through.