Saturday, March 28, 2015

Whiskey poached pears in chocolate cake


I mentioned recently that for the first time ever, I made four recipes from a food magazine that I had bought, making me feel that the subscription was justified.

The fourth of these recipes from the March issue of Taste magazine was originally entitled Fireball Pears in Chocolate Cake, which is a much catchier title that Whiskey Poached Pears in Chocolate Cake.  However, the name relies on you poaching the pears in Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, which I did not have - I just used some other generic brand of whiskey to poach the pears.


You can find the recipe for this cake online here.  The cake itself was dense and deeply chocolatey, and the pears added some welcomed moisture.  I didn't think that the whiskey syrup added much - it didn't really thicken up, and it just tended to make the cake a little stodgy when poured on top: 


Overall, this was a really nice cake, which showcases pears nicely.  However, if I made it again, it would be sans syrup on top.  It also tastes better the next day, once the flavours have developed.

3 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

I have a feeling I saw this magazine as I remember seeing the name of it which seemed interesting until I saw it was just the name of a whiskey or brandy. The cake does look really good though

Kari said...

How cool - the name of the original but also the sound of this cake more generally. I like it!

Kayte said...

You find the most interesting recipes to make. I would never think to put whiskey and pears in a cake! Mark saw it and thought it was a superfine idea, of course!