Friday, February 6, 2015

FFWD - Winter Ceviche



For French Fridays with Dorie this week, we made Winter Ceviche.  As you may expect, this was another seafood dish, but this timer with scallops.  Although labelled as a winter dish, this ceviche is perfect in summer too, as it uses bright, fresh ingredients and is quite light and served cold. 

Instead of investing in mango nectar for the citrus and mango marinade, I used peach juice from a can of tinned peaches instead.  I imagine the end result would be similar, as both the nectar and the peach juice are sweet and fruity.

You are supposed to serve the marinated scallops on a bed of tarragon, but I issued baby spinach instead.

I enjoyed this winter ceviche (after all, it is based on  the luxury of scallops), but it didn't excite me.   I probably wouldn't make it again, as there are ways to serve scallops that I like better.

To see what the other Doristas thought of this dish, visit the LYL section of the FFWD website.

16 comments:

Beth said...

Your ceviche looks so pretty. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more.

Kayte said...

It certainly looks interesting and delicious. All the ingredients are ones I really enjoy, but the combination might not be up to the sum of all its parts. In other words, I might just like to have all the ingredients separate and eat them that way! :-)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh well! Sounds like you found it good but not great perhaps?

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Loved this one!But I can see where many would prefer a different preparation--who knew I would enjoy raw scallops?

Mardi Michels said...

Definitely- there are many other ways to cook scallops that are way better than this!

Diane Balch said...

We seem to be in the minority. I didn't love this either and had to do a lot of doctoring it to make it an OK lunch. I will stick to traditional ceviche.. I like more punch.

Mary Hirsch said...

Are you thinking about the carmelized orange sauce and scallops that we made last year or so? It was and is one of my favorites. Your Winter Cerviche looks quite delicious but ceviche is an acquired taste that I've really never acquired. At least you tried it but found it wanting. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a little confused by the name of the recipe because it seems like you could make it in any season. Either way, not a repeat for me either.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Dear Gaye, you might not have liked this Winter Ceviche all that much but it certainly looks wonderful and fresh with all those green grapes - you are so right, this would be perfect in summer as well!
Have a lovely weekend,
Andrea

tricia s. said...

My bar was low for this one- I hate raw seafood and my taste testers dared to be out of town !! LOL I do love the citrus medley and enjoyed the refreshing aromas. Another one down :)

Nana said...

Looks very pretty. I bought baby spinach too,
but thought I would make it exactly as called for.
However, I did not like the tarragon and was sorry I didn't use the spinach.

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

I love ceviche, though I've never had one like this. It is unfortunate that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Kathy said...

Sorry this wasn’t a winner for you. Your ceviche looks lovely! I just can’t do raw seafood, so I did a make-up instead

Betsy said...

Sorry this wasn't a favorite. You're right this one works for any season, not just winter.

Cher Rockwell said...

It is pretty - sorry it wasn't a hit. The scallops definitely made this dish. I would have loved to have enjoyed this on a white sandy beach with a glass of sparkling wine in hand.

Jora said...

I was actually wondering why this was called "Winter" ceviche. Nothing about it seemed particularly winter-y to me. I'm sorry you didn't like it better.