Monday, September 22, 2014

Pumpkin and sultana muffins



I try to avoid wasting food as much as possible.  I have found that most vegetables on their last leg are fabulous in a stir fry, and fruit can be included in cakes and jams.

Recently, I had a forlorn piece of pumpkin in the fridge, so I made Phyllis's pumpkin muffins with it.  I have no idea who Phyllis is, but she was a member of The Toowoomba Chronicle Kids Club in 1936 - before my Mum was born!  Phyllis' recipe has been republished, and is online here.

As well as mashed pumpkin, these tasty little muffins contain sultanas.  I really enjoyed these for a change.  Here's a peek inside:



So there you go - if you have a sad piece of pumpkin past its prime in the fridge, whip up some of Phyllis's pumpkin muffins for morning tea - you won't be disappointed.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

What a wonderful treat with a cup of coffee. Catherine

Kari said...

These look amazing - and perfect for autumn as we're moving into here. Definitely a good win out of almost wasted food!

Kayte said...

I love it when I find great ways to use odd ingredients I have left over in the frig. This looks like a great way to use yours! I just love finding new muffin recipes as Mark likes a muffin for breakfast each day.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Great idea and much better than throwing something out! I like the addition of sultanas for sweetness and texture too :D

Anonymous said...

I really wanted that for my brunch snacking in my clinic tomorrow....

Johanna GGG said...

I think of pumpkin scones or a stew for old pumpkin but this look a great way to make it live again

The Caked Crusader said...

Aren't they an amazing colour! I love sultanas in anything so these look right up my street!

2paw said...

Pumpkin recipes are abounding as Thanksgiving approaches. left over pumpkin here is always for The Labradors. I also noticed pumpkin cheesecake and slice in my new BH&G Chocolate book.