Friday, September 19, 2014

FFWD - Tuna and mango ceviche

 


For French Friday with Dorie this week, things are a little fishy - our menu item was tuna and mango ceviche.   Dorie did provide an option whereby you could sear the tuna instead (and hence no longer having ceviche), however, I decided to go the purist route and give the original recipe a go.

This dish is pretty easy to make - diced raw tuna, diced mango, diced avocado, lime segments, chilli and red onion with a lime vinaigrette to "cook" the tuna - and a splash of rum and Tabasco sauce.

While I wouldn't say I loved this dish, I didn't mind it either - it was OK.  However, I can't see myself making it again.  I bought a tiny, expensive bottle of Tabasco sauce for this dish, which I will use again - I like it on the hot side.

To see whether the other Doristas made the ceviche or the seared tuna version, or whether they went the optional shrimp route, check out the LYL section of the FFWD website.

15 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love how simple but delicious a ceviche is! You've reminded me that I should make it for parties! :D

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yeah, I can see how everyone would not be as enamored with this dish as I was :) Enjoy your weekend!

Diane Balch said...

Sorry it wasn't a winner for you. Good for you going raw.

Nana said...

Sorry you did not enjoy this, I could not do raw fish so I used cooked shrimp. We loved the combo with the mango and avocado, really delicious.

Mary Hirsch said...

Hooray for you for even putting this recipe together. I did a make-up this week but will eventually try both the tuna and shrimp versions. I happen to like cerviche but it is an acquired taste. Good luck with the Tabasco. The thought of you using up a bottle of Tabasco is like my trying to use up my bottle of Sriracha.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Gaye, nice to see that you also decided to take the "purist route" - we enjoyed this recipe quite a bit and I thought it was certainly a taste experience that I had never had before!
Have a lovely weekend,
Andrea

tricia s. said...

Yup- I simply can not do raw fish personally. Have tried it even recently but it's a no go. Since it is one of the few items on the planet I don't care for, I see no need to push :) I used the seared shrimp and the family went nuts. What a fun combo.

Betsy said...

I wasn't wild about this one either. Though it was pretty, wasn't it? Enjoy the leftover Tabasco!

Diane Zwang said...

Kudos to you for doing this, I can't do the raw meat thing. I did a make-up instead.

Kathy said...

Sorry this wasn’t a winner! I almost skipped this week, but then saw Dories Bonn Idee! It worked very well for me and was quite delicious!

Emily said...

Well we did get another recipe ticked, done it and move on to the next one! Hope to get mine done soon! :)

Teresa said...

I'm glad the Tabasco was a hit, if not the dish itself! In my case, it was a tiny bottle of white rum that sent me to the store - I usually keep dark rum around, but not the white stuff.

Cher Rockwell said...

Happy belated birthday :-)
Tabasco/ hot sauce is a mandatory condiment in our house!

Jora said...

I think it's fun to try things like this, even if they aren't recipes I would make again. I like the Tabasco idea!

2paw said...

Oh yes, I do like fish cooked this way. I once had goat ceviche too.