Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sandia Peak Tramway and High Finance Restaurant


Our day in Albuquerque was rounded off by a trip to the top of Sandia Peak on the Sandia Peak Tramway, followed by dinner at High Finance Restaurant.  "Sandia" means "watermelon" in Spanish, and supposedly the Spanish were inspired to name the Sandia Mountains because of their reddish colour.  Sandia Peak is at 10,378 feet above sea level: 

 
You travel up there in little tram cars on a cable system.  A few ladies in our group were very scared of heights, and shut their eyes the whole way up.  I am scared of heights, but because we were encased in our own little bubbles, the trip up to Sandia Peak didn't bother me at all, and I enjoyed the view.  Here I am - I made it:

 
Our tour group sat down together at reserved tables - here is our table (Margaret and Dennis, Allan and Julie, Tim and I):
 

We chose our meals from a set three course menu:


For entrĂ©e (or appetizer, depending on where you come from), I chose the soup (yes Kayte, I really enjoyed your American spicy soups!):

 
I have no recollection of what type of soup this was, except that it was spicy and good. 

For main, I chose the grilled salmon with soy citrus glaze on rice with vegetables:

 
As you can see, the vegetables were a little sad, but the salmon itself was really good, and the glaze perfectly complemented it.

The star of the show was the dessert - a peanut butter/chocolate mousse style delight, not unlike a Snickers bar in flavour:


After a lovely dinner, we all rolled back down the mountain - ha, ha, no, we got back into the tram cars and enjoyed the sunset over the Sandia Mountains:


Our Sandia Peak experience was the perfect end to a perfect day.

30 Tramway Road NE
Albuquerque, NM
United States
Ph: +1 505 856 7325
 
Sandia Peak
Albuquerque, NM
United States
Ph: +1 505 243 9742 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place! And I love how you don't know the name of the spicy soup. At least it was memorable in taste!

Judy said...

Was the soup hot or cold? That would narrow it down. The Sandias have quite a few hiking trails, good for short day hikes. Lots of wild flowers and big horn sheep. It's a great place for winter sports, too.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That's so cool that you went there! I remember them telling us about these mountains when we did the trolley tour but we never visited.

Hotly Spiced said...

It certainly looks very picturesque. What a beautiful day. I agree the vegetables look a little lacklustre but the dessert makes up for them xx

Kari said...

What an amazing trip - it all sounds wonderful, and that dessert has me seriously intrigued!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Judy, the soup was hot.

Kayte said...

Wow, that tram ride was something...and I love the picture of you standing at the top, that is really a great photo of you and a fun place to remember. The dinner looked nice and that soup looked really good...lol on us making you a soup lover yet!! I'm always all about the soup. Nice post, I am loving reading all about the trip and seeing the scenes and food and hearing what you did and what you saw, etc.

Stephezinho.com said...

Lovely post, i am considering doing a review of this place but I am very uncertain since I have fpund more bad reviews than good ones.