Monday, March 24, 2014

Umami Apple, Parmesan and Walnut Crumble


"Umami" means pleasant, savoury taste, and comes from foods containing glutamate.  To embrace the spirit of umami, I have chosen Umami Apple, Parmesan and Walnut Crumble.  The umami component is parmesan, which is high in glutamate.  You can find more information about umami in pastry here.

The recipe for Umami Apple, Parmesan and Walnut Crumble comes from the Local Kitchen blog.   You can find it here.  Instead of canned apple pie filling, I chose to make the apple filling here.  It is really quite lovely because it is a caramel-flavoured apple filling and is easy to make.

The end result is a delicious mix to flavours, a little bit sweet and a little bit savoury.  I also love the fact that the crumble topping is relatively healthy, with only a limited amount of butter and containing walnuts and oats. (I will confess to using plain flour as I did not have any spelt flour.)




This recipe was for an event which won't get any publicity from me as the host chose to ignore my entry; this post has been updated to erase any reference to that event.

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the sound of this with the umami element to it. I love things with a lot of umami like seaweed butter :)

TeaLady said...

THIS looks so good. No way to beat apple with any kind of crumble.
Do I need another group?

Debra Eliotseats said...

This reminds me of apple pie with cheddar.

Johanna GGG said...

congratulations on coming up with a u word - I have wondered what you could use (unbleached flour?) - I love the alphabakes event but probably am out of inspiration this month. I love your crumble - and perfect for this weather - I got my first new season's apples this weekend