Friday, February 14, 2014

FFwD - Helene's All-White Salad

 

This week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe is a study in monochrome - Helene's All-White Salad. Not being huge on salad, I was not sure how I'd like this, and I especially wasn't sure about the dressing, a yoghurt vinaigrette which is mayo-like in consistency.

Be warned that this recipe makes an enormous amount of salad - I made the mistake of making a whole quantity and being stuck with this salad for days.  In the end, I stir-fried the leftovers just to break the monotony.

I was happy with how the dressing came together - I have never made mayonnaise, but read enough food sites to know that it can all go dreadfully wrong with the oil splitting from the fat.  However, got lucky this time, and it worked a treat, resulting in a creamy, thick mayo-like dressing.

That said, this was quite a meaty, yummy salad.  The mushrooms and the apple were the highlights for me.  I ate this salad the first time round by itself because I was to full from the rest of the day to eat anything else, and enjoyed it.  I then ate it as a side a few times with work lunches, before finally giving up on it and stir-frying it.

 
 
To see what the other Doristas thought of this "white" salad, visit the LYL section of the website.

20 comments:

yummychunklet said...

I'll have to catch up on this one. I tried to buy the ingredients, but they didn't sound good together at the time. Yours looks tasty, so I'll have to take another stab at it.

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) said...

I was a huge fan of this too :)

2paw said...

I like a lemon and yoghurt dressing, or a tzatziki type too. I eat a lot of baby spinach, tiny tomatoes, feta, cucumber, garlic and lemon salads!! I think any salad would pall after a while.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Maybe I would have liked it better stir fried :) Glad you enjoyed!

Emily said...

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the raw white mushroom! Love the crunchy apples too!

I was smart; follow the full recipe for the dressing but made enough of the salad ingredients for 2 pax as a side. So will make a fresh batch soon to finish off the dressing!

Rose said...

I too thought that this was substantial enough for a meal. I made it with chicken the first time around to placate the husband, but the next day I quite happily ate the leftovers for lunch.

Nana said...

Hubby and I both enjoyed this salad. I thought the dressing was easy to make and so delicious.
I have tried making mayo before, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is very tricky. I am
happy you enjoyed your salad, it looks quite good.

Cher Rockwell said...

Yep, I think after a few days I would have had to do something different too!
I only made half and it still seemed like a lot.

Teresa said...

I made a third of the recipe, and will have enough for leftovers tomorrow. I like your idea for stir-frying the leftovers!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

It sounds like you really enjoyed the winter white salad - the recipe made a lot of salad that´s true. We were not quite all that happy with the original recipe - a bit of fresh cheese would be nice with this. But so nice that you enjoyed this so much!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I would run screaming if stuck with this one for days! Yikes! Not a fan. Had brownies instead.

Christy said...

Looks terrific! We enjoy this salad, but it makes way too much for two! Have a fabulous weekend!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it! I did too and it seems lots of people didn't! I too had never made a mayonnaise and was prepared for the horrid 'breaking' but all went well. We hope to finish ours off today. I like it but 2 days is enough!

Diane Balch said...

I made just a bowl of the salad for me and used my left over cabbage and mushrooms for a stir fry. You are so right it is a lot of salad if you make the whole thing. I loved the mayo. I only made mayo once before and this one turned out better. Can't wait to use it on sandwiches too.

Unknown said...

My husband and I both enjoyed this salad more than we expected we would but I went completely rogue on the dressing! I love your picture!

Gracie ~ Food Fascination said...

I love your post! I especially love that your stir fried the salad.

tricia s. said...

Great idea on the stir fry. I definitely need to do something different with the leftovers :) I was also glad the dressing worked out so well. I had no idea (thankfully) it was so tricky. Glad you enjoyed it !

Betsy said...

It said it served 6, so I made 1/6 of the recipe. It made enough for 3, so you must have had A LOT. Stir-frying it sounds like a good option though. And, glad to hear the may worked for you. Unfortunately, this was NOT my favorite.

Sara said...

I made a third of the recipe (enough for 2 people), and still had leftovers! It does make quite a bit of salad. Unfortunately, it wasn't a win for us. It does sound better stir-fried, though!

Renee said...

What a great idea to stir fry it! It did make a lot! Yours looks terrific!