Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WWDH - Meat Pies


This week's Wednesday with Donna Hay recipe is meat pies, chosen by Margaret from p161 of Modern Classics.  The recipe is also online here.  I made a half recipe in fluted pie pans, using light puff pastry in a bid to lower the calorie count.

I loved the meat filling in these pies.  I used blade steak, as I couldn't find round or chuck steak.  The filling contains red wine, and I found the cutest little cooking sachet of red wine courtesy of my local bottle-o - 250ml for $3:


 
Not bad, eh?  I would make the filling again just by itself - it was rich and thick and delicious.   you could add some veges to the mixture to beef it up a bit and make it like a stew.
 
Here is a peek inside of the pie to give you an idea of how good the filling was:
 
 
In true Aussie style, I served my pies with a squirt of tomato sauce.  The stir fry veges are not traditional, but made it into dinner.

To see what MargaretChaya and Sarah thought of these pies, visit their websites.

6 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Tomato sauce? Never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

TeaLady said...

This was such a good filling. Very thick and full of flavor.
Catsup?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Goodness me, I sometimes forget how much I love meat pies! :D

Kari said...

What a well timed dish for Australia Day week!

Johanna GGG said...

You got to have some dead horse with your plasma pie - ha ha - actually yours looks more full of meat than what we called plasma pies as kids because they were full of gunk :-)

Cakelaw said...

Ketchup.