Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WWDH - Baked Salmon with Radish and Cucumber Salad



This week's Wednesday with Donna Hay is Baked Salmon with Radish and Cucumber Salad.  The recipe is available online here.  Take note that the recipe is huge - it is to serve 12 people, so unless you are feeding a crowd, you'll need to cut it down.

This recipe comprises salmon baked in puff pastry, with a radish and cucumber salad.  I forgot to halve my 200g pieces of salmon before I baked them, so I had to cut them down afterwards, leaving an edge not encased in pastry.  Nutritionally, I regard this as a bonus.  I also tried to make this a little less fatty by using "light" puff pastry.  The salmon took around half an hour to puff up, not 10-15 minutes, hence my salmon is probably more cooked than was intended, but it was still moist, protected by its pastry blanket.

For the salad, baby beetroot leaves were nowhere to be found, not even n the baby beetroots, so I just used a pre-made spinach, beetroot and carrot salad mix with Donna's dressing. It was easier to cut the radishes and cucumber with a mandolin than a knife to achieve even, thin slices.  I actually really enjoyed this salad, despite not having high hopes for it.  

I liked this dish, but because I am not a fan of things cooked in pastry (because of the unneeded additional calories), I probably won't make it again.

To see what Margaret, Chaya and Sarah thought of this salad, visit their websites.

4 comments:

Joyti said...

Sounds like it would be great for serving a crowd. Looks great :)

Blond Duck said...

I think salmon might be odd in a puff pastry...

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

This is delicious! Like a salmon Wellington :D Great idea!

TeaLady said...

I so wanted to make this but Could not find decent salmon. I love that it is baked in pastry. Even with the extra calories!!