Sunday, January 12, 2014

Orange Yoghurt Cake


My new toy from Santa is a Kindle, and I am in love.  I have been having a great time downloading the daily deals and reading books that I would not otherwise have read.  At present, I am reading The Marrying of Chani Kaufman by Eve Harris, about the marriage of two young Haredi Jews in London and the effect their match has on their nearest and dearest. I am really enjoying it, as it is about the stuff of life for all of us, whether Haredi Jews or not. One reviewer likened it to Pride and Prejudice, with Mrs Levy taking the place of Lady Catherine de Burgh and Chani filling in for Elizabeth - and I so agree!!  I won't spoil it for you, but this book is good for a laugh and will also have your squirming with the awkwardness that the characters face, especially the young couple, Baruch and Chani.

This week, I had a leftovers dilemma in my fridge, with a surplus of oranges and yoghurt.  What better to make with them than an orange yoghurt cake?  I used this reader recipe from the Nigella.com forum.  It makes a ginormous bundt cake which is moist and delicious, although it seemed to pack a little too much of a sugar hit for me. Here's a peek inside:


It disappeared quite quickly at work, so I am gathering it was a winner.  So there you go - if life gives you oranges, make orange cake!

8 comments:

yummychunklet said...

What a very pretty cake!

Kari said...

You summarise some of the reasons I could be persuaded to want a kindle - extra reading rather than fewer books! I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

This cake also ticks all of my boxes - perfect for summer too!

2paw said...

Some of my friends have e-readers and they love them especially for travelling. I'm glad you love yours.
Your orange cake is just so gorgeous, I love the shape of it. Every time I see or hear 'bundt' though I think of the scene for My Big Fat Greek Wedding when Ian's parents bring a bundt cake to the engagement party!! The inside looks good too.

The Caked Crusader said...

Love the look of this - the colour and the crumb.
I too am overly attached to my kindle. I love that I don't have to reject larger books for being too heavy to read anymore

~~louise~~ said...

Ni Kindle for me, yet! Glad to hear you're enjoying yours. O hear it opens up a whole new world of books! One day...

Love citrus anything in the Winter time. Add in the fact that it's a bundt and I'm all in!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Cakelaw...I sure wish I had a pice right about now. Oh well, at least the office crowd got to enjoy it:)

TeaLady said...

That cake sounds absolutely fantastic. Love citrus cakes and adore making bundts. Beautiful pan.

TeaLady said...

Meant to add: Daughter gave me a Kindle several years ago. Love it. Now download cookbooks to my laptop with a Kindle app. So handy.

caribougrrl said...

The crumb on that cake looks perfect. Now I want cake.