Sunday, December 22, 2013

Red Currant Cake


In Australia, red currants are not a common sight.  The last time I saw red currants was two years ago, until yesterday, when I spotted them in Coles.  Coles is not a specialty grocer, so I was surprised to find them there, but despite the rather hefty price tag ($6.50 for 125g), I had to have some:


Aren't they gorgeous?  And they are the very essence of Christmas with their bright red coats.

I have been eyeing up a recipe for Red Currant Cake since the last time I saw red currants.  I selected a recipe that I found here.  Why this one?  Because I have German ancestors on my mother's side, and any German recipe makes me feel closer to them. I followed the recipe to a "T", except that I only used half of the red currants because otherwise, the cake would cost too much to make.

Here is how it turned out:

 
I think it's a beauty: 


The red currants are what makes this cake, as the tartness of the currants contrasts with the sweetness of the cake base and meringue topping.  I think that you could use almost any fruit or berry in this cake, provided it wasn't too moist.  Gooseberries come to mind, although they are rare here too.

If I come across red currants again in the future, I would definitely make this tasty, light, refreshing cake again. 

7 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Red currants! Reminds me of Anne of Green Gables.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I agree, redcurrants are so Christmassy it hurts :P I was just in the Northern Hemisphere where everything that all Christmassy things are in season.

Kari said...

How wonderful! If my Coles had these then I completely missed them...definitely worth a splurge buy I think. And they turned into a great cake too :)

Johanna GGG said...

I think I have only seen them once in Australia and made a punch with them but would love to bake a cake with red currants - they do look gorgeous and love your cake

The Caked Crusader said...

I've never baked with redcurrants but they look so pretty in your bake that I realise I need to!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These look so beautiful, I haven't seen red currants looking so vibrant before :D
This cake is so delicious!

Happy Holidays!
CCU

Blond Duck said...

Have a Merry Christmas!