I made a half batch using almond meal (misinterpreting "finely cut almonds" for almond meal). Do not try this at home - the tuiles won't spread. When I turned up the oven to see if that would make them spread, it burned the bottoms of them. Into the trash they go!
On the next night, take two; that is when I read "finely chopped almonds" as "put almonds in a food processor and chop finely, but do not pulverise". I also skipped the resting in the fridge part for the dough, thinking that this may actually have stopped batch one from spreading.
Success, in that the tuiles spread and resembled what they should have this time. Followed by epic fail - the tuiles stuck to the egg lifter I used to get them off the trays, they fell off the rolling pin and tore, and those that did hang around never set - they were too soft and lost their shape immediately after leaving the rolling pin.
Don't get me wrong - these biscuits tasted good (what's not to like about nuts and butter) - but they just didn't do what they were supposed to for me. I subbed OJ for lemon juice as I didn't want to waste a whole orange for a few tablespoons of juice. However, they were too much of a pain in the behind for me, so never again.
To see if the other Doristas had better luck, visit the LYL section of the website.