Friday, December 14, 2012

FFwD - Chicken, Apples and Cream a la Normande


This week's French Friday with Dorie recipe is a special treat - it is chicken, apples and cream a la Normande, and is one of the most delicious chicken dishes I have ever tasted.  Yes, I gush - however, you know that I am just as ready to tell you if I don't like a recipe, so take this as an honest to goodness, although subjective, review. 

This dish features pan fried chicken in a cream sauce dotted with apples and mushrooms.  If you would like to replicate this deliciousness, you can find the recipe online here.  The only changes that I made were to use light cream instead of heavy cream and use a brown onion rather than a yellow one (I have never seen a yellow onion!), and my choice of alcohol was brandy (as that is what I had in the house).

As per Dorie's serving suggestion, I served my chicken with Dorie's lemon steamed spinach, which cut nicely through the creaminess of the sauce.

I have never been to Normandy, but boy, I like the way they cook chicken.  To see whether the other Dorie cooks agree, visit the LYL section of the FFwD website.

15 comments:

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This chicken looks so delicious my friend :D
Makes me judge my vegetarianism ;)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Cher Rockwell said...

I couldn't muster up quite the same level of enthusiasm, but I did think this was a nice dish.
SPinach sounds really good right about now...

Not Quite Nigella said...

That sounds incredible! :O I've made something similar with a guinea fowl and we loved it but chicken is much easier to get a hold of :)

Finla said...

Looks super super yumm.

Anonymous said...

Your chicken turned out a lot more appetizing than mine did!

Elaine said...

I loved this with pork, but I do want to try it with the chicken. Yours served on the bed of spinach just looks beautiful! I am so glad that you also thought this one was tasty.

Teresa said...

This dish does put Normandy on the 'to do' list, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to having the leftovers tonight. The spinach looks lovely, too.

Betsy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this. Seems like you haven't liked the Friday recipes lately. Looks delicious on spinach. Funny, I've never seen a brown onion. Most of the ones they sell here are called yellow, and occasionally, white (and green, which I call scallions). Anyway, you were due for a winner and it sounds like this one's it.

loavesandstitches said...

Yes, spinach is really great with creamy sauces. It looks so delicious. I am looking forward to having the time to make dinner in this crazy season.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

It´s good to find a recipe to gush about! I too used brandy. The spinach would´ve been perfect too!

Tasty Trix said...

How can you go wrong with chicken and cream sauce, right??

Sara said...

This dish certainly made me more interested in Normandy! If this is the kind of food they have, it sounds like a lovely place to visit. Beautiful job on this one - the chicken looks great with the spinach!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love it served over spinach! So beautiful! I should have used light cream, too, as I thought the sauce was a little too rich (I save that for dessert :)).

Rose said...

It was a great recipe. But not surprising because I find that I generally like Dorie's chicken recipes. I also didn't bother to buy Calvados since I had perfectly good Cognac sitting on my counter. Worked perfectly.

Kayte said...

Oh, my this chicken dish looks wonderful. With that least of ingredients, I am certain it would be one of my favorite chicken dishes as well. Must try this one.