Sunday, December 30, 2012

Coconut Ice


Coconut ice is a traditional school fete treat that always takes me back to my childhood.  The type of coconut ice that we used to get was the boiled kind, which can be tricky to make - over-boil the mixture and it ends up dry and crumbly, and the layers won't stick to each other.

Fast forward a few years, and I found a number of recipes for coconut ice that involve condensed milk and no boiling.  This makes it easier to make, and the end result is pleasingly soft and moist. 

To make coconut ices for my Christmas boxes, I used this recipe based on condensed milk from Australian Women's Weekly Sweet.  Of course, you don't have to limit your coconut ice making endeavours to Christmas - coconut ice can be enjoyed as a year round gift or treat.

Do you make home made sweets? And what is your favourite home made sweet?

8 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh memories! I haven't had coconut ice in ages. I remember it being sweet but just on the right side of very sweet :D

Johanna GGG said...

I have made two batches of coconut ice for gifts this year - it is so easy and so yummy - my recipe uses the same amount of icing sugar and coconut so I was surprised at how much sugar in yours but it does look pretty with the pale pink layer

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks yummy - I always love the texture of coconut ice.
Can't go wrong with Australian Women's Weekly recipes - they're always the best!

Elaine said...

I have never heard of coconut ice before. It looks perfectly delicious and so pretty with the pink layer. I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Anonymous said...

What a fun sounding treat!

Choclette said...

Gosh, I haven't made coconut ice since I was a teenager and I'd quite forgotten about boiling it, but you're right that was how it was done. I think I'd find it way to sweet for me these days, but I have very fond memories of it and it does look pretty. I made truffles, peppermint bark and cookies for my Christmas gifts this year - it's hard work, but good fun.

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

Kayte said...

I haven't had this since I was a child...it would be pretty for Valentine's Day as well, wouldn't it? I need to bookmark this for then, thank you. So pretty.

Kathy said...

This looks absolutely wonderful…I would love to give it a try!