Wednesday, November 7, 2012

WWDH - Fried Rice



Yesterday was Melbourne Cup Day holiday in Melbourne, so I spent my time making my Christmas cake, pudding and fruit mince so that they mature for Christmas.  It was a pretty productive day, and a good one for staying in, as it rained a fair bit.  Prince Charles and Camilla of England were in Melbourne for the Cup, and presented the winning owner with the trophy for the Cup.  A horse called Green Moon won - a few people I know won money on it.  I didn't have a bet, so I didn't win anything.  I did win a day off though, which is good enough for me. 

It's Wednesday with Donna Hay, and my choice for November is Fried Rice from p148 of Modern Classics Book I.  This is a pretty traditional Asian style fried rice with prawns, but sans the frozen peas and egg.  It had a spicy kick to it with chillies, which made it a little different from your bland Chinese restaurant fried rice.

I quite enjoyed this for a change.  Kayte is on hiatus, but please visit Margaret and Chaya to see what they thought of this rice dish.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Filipino, I love fried rice. This looks delicious!

Kayte said...

Rice with a kick...sounds like a great deal to me. I loved reading about the Melbourne Cup and your preparations for the holidays...you do such different things than I do here, so it is always a treat to read about the things you do in Australia. Winning a day off sounds like a win indeed!

Cindy said...

Looks like I'll have to hunt down this recipe. I'm always looking for ways to make rice taste different/better.

Blond Duck said...

I've always wanted to make fried rice!

Kari said...

I'd take a guarranteed day off over a risky money return so I figure you did quite well :) Impressive Christmas efforts too! I like the idea of chilli in fried rice so this dish sounsd great to me.

Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I forgot that you guys had a public holiday! I just knew not to ring anyone in Melbourne around race time :P

Chaya said...

I am about to post mine. I had not fish or meat in the house so it is rather plain but I did it. Hopefully, after I shop and the weather improves, I will be able to be more on top of this.

Yours looks yummy. Fried rice is a favorite in our house and we liked my version of it.

TeaLady said...

This was so easy to put together. Thanks for this pick.

Elaine said...

Wow, you did have a productive day. Good for you! Fried rice with prawns sounds delicious.