Thursday, November 8, 2012

White Chocolate Cake for Tim



It was Tim's birthday recently, so you know what that means, right - cake time!  Tim loves white chocolate, so I chose a white chocolate cake recipe, and frosted it with white chocolate ganache - killer combination, wouldn't you agree?

The recipe I used for the cake is from The Golden Book of Patisserie, and was actually a recipe for white chocolate cupcakes; I just placed all the batter in a 20cm round tin and baked it for around 40 minutes (but if you try it, just test the cake to see if it is cooked through).

Once baked and frosted, I decorated the cake with piped dark chocolate, M&Ms and cola sour strips.  I am informed by Tim that he and his brother devoured the whole cake - so I am guessing it tasted OK.

To make the cake, you will need:

100g chopped white chocolate
150ml light cream
150g self raising flour

1/8 teaspoon salt
90g softened butter
200g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius.  Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.

Melt the chocolate and cream together over a bain marie.  Set aside and allow to cool slightly.

Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl. 

In another bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and creamy.  Beat in the eggs, one a time.  On low speed, beat in the flour mixture and chocolate mixture.  Scrape the mixture into the prepared cake tin, and bake for ~ 40 minutes or until cooked through. 

Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for around 10 minutes, then unmould the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Frost the cake with white chocolate ganache.  I made my  ganache using 3 parts chocolate to one part cream.

Decorate as desired.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Tim!

Johanna GGG said...

love the decoration - I often think white chocolate is too sweet and yet I find it strangely moreish - am sure I would like this

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Tim! What a lucky guy to get a cake like this. It's beautiful and I'm sure delicious.

Kari said...

Happy birthday Tim! This looks very impressive.

Finla said...

Wowo that is a beautifully decorated cake.

Jill said...

I hope he had a great birthday! The cake looks great and sounds delicious. I love how you make birthday cakes for so many people - it's so thoughtful.

Elaine said...

I can't believe another year has gone by. Tim is one lucky guy because you cake looks beautiful.